serious ibook problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bokdol, Apr 22, 2003.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i have a problem, which i am trying to see how wide spread it is. we purchased about 30 ibooks for where i work. about 1 year ago. then 2 weeks ago one went out. the screen had problems and the the computer would not respond. vewrtical stripes would apear in screen. then yesterday 2 more ibooks went out with similar problems. the screen would go nuts. and the computer would not respond. (even when starting up with seperate boot disk.) now today one more went out. i am thinking this is a common problem and would like to know if any one else has expirenced any thing similar.
    oh and all the i books were the 14in 700 mhz one. first generation 14inch.

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

3. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

no this is definatly not a building power issue. i have heard of the wires being pinched to the monitors but this does not seem the case as i loose not only the screen but seems like hard drive fails. and i can not even start from a cd

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

What about AppleCare?

I would agree, not a power problem.
    I hate to sugest this, but just think about this, what about user abuse or error?

5. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

of course there is normal ware and tear. but this seems strange as it's the exacte problem on 4 different machines. and used differently. but also most do not know tech issues. so it's like normal use for laptops. nothing crazy like mostlky emails at work and home.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It reads strange.
    I haven’t read about a systemic problem like this with that model of iBook.
    Are the S/Ns consecutive? Perhaps it is a problem with a small part of a batch.
    What I wrote about user error could still hold true. Perhaps somebody is using the iBooks in a particularly way, or perhaps deliberately overstressing some part of the iBook.

7. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i would like to hope it's the same batch. we had ordered them all at the same time. and i believe the sn are consecutive. i was just hoping someone else had this problem. to find out if apple had a recall of sorts. like the emac's. (i already called them and there was no notification on defective ibooks) well thank god there is still the one year warenty and maybe it well have to go to apple care before it over. o well

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Last April (April of 2002), the cable connecting my iBook's (my iBook is the 12" model and it was purchased in August of 2001) screen to the motherboard went bad. I called Apple to find out what I should do, and the first thing the tech said after I told him the problems is, "Your number 617." I asked him what he meant, and he explained that 1,500 iBooks (he said the 1500 was an Apple estimate based on information from the cable manufacturer) had a defective display cable, and mine was the 617th reported with the problem. It is very possible that your problem iBooks were part of a batch that contained a defective part.

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

do the stripes look like this?

i had the logic board / cable problem, that pic is how it looked...

10. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

YES YES YES. and sometimes they were blue.... but very similar

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Looks like you have something to go to Apple with.

12. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Wow, sounds realy bad:( I can understand how you would be taken aback by so many going bad so close togather. Are you in a buesness or education enviroment? I only hope that you are not lossing money due to this.
    anyhow,

At least you have some friends to shair your pain with.

13. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

mine started doign that kind of screens (also blue or froze) around august-september. i bought mine in august. i called apple, and sent it to service, from italy. in europe they send all tech stuff to holland, and .. well, it came back in around 10 days - it was sent one friday and came back in monday the 1,5 weeks later, perfectly working and fast enough. luckily i did have a linux pc on that time to survive..

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

all i have to say is i hope you have applecare or its gonna be a hefty price.

iJon

15. jamilecrire macrumors regular

I would hope since it's an issue related to Apple and not the consumer it would be taken care of. If not I'd contact a lawyer. The bad publicity alone would hopefully make a difference (doubtful).

Apple gives me a reason every 3-4 months to consider avoiding developing for their platform.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what are you talking about, its called a warranty, if its not under warranty you pay for the fix. If you car stops breaking they dont fix it for free, come on. unless you have applecare you will be paying about 400 dollars for each machine to have a logic board replaced. i mean you can get your lawyer but they wont care, rules are rules whether you broke it or not.

iJon

17. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

in edu. we ordered new teacher computers and they kaput..

18. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

Had same thing happen with same computer, they replaced the logicboard.... seems they reinforced my case a bit too.

19. jamilecrire macrumors regular

BS. Ever heard of a recall? Guess you've never owned a car.

When a car part wears out you fix it, when it's a manufacturers DEFECT they recall it. Duhhhhh........

20. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

whats funny is i have not heard of a apple recall. even with the whole emac mess was there a recall on the videoboards? maybe there was a emac recall but i just missed it.

21. iPat macrumors member

Go look on the Apple's discussion boards....this is a relatively large problem with iBooks (and a common topic if you look at other Mac sites). My iBook is currently in for it's second logic board in 8 months. People who have this problem almost always have the same symptoms and the screen always looks like the one posted. I personally feel like this is a design flaw on Apple's part as many people have already had multiple logic boards installed, symptoms are almost always the same, symptoms are almost always reproduced the same (usually slight pressures on the case to left of track pad or when moving the unit). It seems like Apple is just replacing one defective board for another. Although not too wide spread, many people including myself don't notice a problem until moving the unit while it's on (in other words if a keep it at my desk while it's on for 3 months it's fine......if one day I pick it up while it's turned on and walk it to another desk the symptoms become obvious....seems to be linked to flexing the case in specific areas). So I have a feeling there are many more undiagnosed computers out there as people maynot be walking around with their iBooks on.

Maybe I'm crazy....but just too many people with the exact same problems occuring again and again for this to be sporatic and not a design flaw. Hope Apple does something as people who have Applecare don't pay a thing but the price for people out of warrantee is $380 just for them to look at it. Maybe when Apple starts spending more money on logic board replacements for Applecare customers than it generates from customers who purchase Applecare, they'll look at the design of the logic board and reevaluate!

22. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

could you send a link?

thanks

23. iPat macrumors member