Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
I just updated iTunes to 7 annd the iPod Firmware to 1.2. Then I downloaded a game (Pac-Man). Now my iPod no longer functions properly. It just freezes randomly, and pretty quickly, too. I can sometimes use it for a bit, but then it just stops. What's weird, if a song is playing, the song itself will continue, the GUI and the rest of the iPod is non-functional.
Needless to say, it does not see Pac-Man anywhere on the iPod. I even did a restore option and it STILL freezes. WTF? My iPod was flawless up until this update.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
More details...

When it's plugged into my computer (PMG5 AND PBG4), the backlight is extremely dim. Don't know if that's always been the case, but this is certainly the first time I'm noticing that. However, it still freezes after a few seconds and the "Do not disconnet" circle slash is frozen on screen. Do I head a dead iPod a year later?

winterdude010

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
New York
Well, it could be your harddrive slowly dying. It would explain the freezing, and the overall "I don't wanna work" state that it's in. I know its young, but ya never know!

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
Well, I just called Apple support but, because I didn't have my iPod with me at work, they gave me a case# and told me to call back. Would not have mattered anyway, since they told me it needs to be connected to a computer and this is a Windows environment here at work.

Has anyone gone through the "troubleshooting" steps for the iPod? Can anyone tell me what that might be?
I've done the physical resetting of the iPod.
I've done the restore program on the iPod.
Even after that, when I left for work this morning, the iPod, which was sitting on the dining room table NOT connected to anything, STILL had the frozen "Do not disconnect" logo on it.
If there's a software fix for it, I'd like to know. If it's a hardware problem, well.... October 12 will be a year, so I'm still under warranty.... I want it fixed!

Definitely frustrated...

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2002
dead phish head said:
I had the exact same probelm after updating to 1.2....my iPod freezes and the screen scrambles. And it seems we are not the only ones: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=637616&tstart=0
I have yet to get 1.2 to work...I have instead restored back to 1.1.2 and everything works just as it should.

As discouraging as it is, glad to know I'm not alone. I'd rather it be a software issue, though I'm angry that I lost all my movies and will have to waste my time re-ripping my movies. My fault, I guess, since I did not burn the iPod versions to DVD for safe keeping.
Oh well.... once I get my new laptop, I can have the G5 and the C2D work dutifully on re-ripping movies. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.