Serious(ly Annoying) Problem with FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pianodude123, Jul 17, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Im editing a rather large project (over 4 hrs of video) and I imported the footage through iMovie so that it would split up the video into separate clips from the DV start and stop time. when I import the footage into FCE and play it in the Viewer it appears very very choppy and usually it freezes the video but i can still hear the audio playing. THen, FCE becomes unstable and crashes. I am using my Powermac. When I import directly into FCE I dont seem to have this problem.

2. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Please provide some aid as I need to fix this problem so i can resume editing ASAP.

3. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Capture using FCE's "Capture Now".
    Never sacrifice speed for quality.
    In the end...it take more time if you make that sacrifice.

4. Lebowski macrumors 6502

why if you have FCE are you even opening iMovie?

iMovie is cute for dad to do a kids birthday party video, but anything more than that and is total crap.

capture large clips in FC (cmnd+8) log and capture. then, mark in and out for your edits.

trust me, i deal with HUGE amounts of footage. You are way better off with large clips and marking in and out of them, then dealing with a thousand already cut clips.

5. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Okay, thanks for the help. So you think I should just reimport everything into FCE from the camera? Or is there a way to actually another way to import the video?

6. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

iMovie encoded your clips to AIC. Not the original DV. And the sound is at 44.1 not 48.

You need to import using log and capture in FC.
    Or you can render all the iMovie clips... but why?

Spend the time to capture correctly. You don't want to be known as a corner cutter, do you? :p :D

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You should learn to log and capture your footage with FCE. It is simple project management like this that will save you from small troubles and speed up your editing.

Log each clip properly (ie with your tape ID under the "reel" setting, etc) and then batch capture them while you watch tv, run to the store, or just relax for a while.

Doing this every time will help you in the long run.

8. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Is there a way for me to separate the markers into separate clips without using the razorblade tool to separate every single one?

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

If you log and capture the right way, then you don't need to go through with the razorblade and break up a big chunk of video.

In the log and capture window, go to the first clip you want to import, set the in and out points for this clip, fill out the information on the right, press "log clip", move to next clip and repeat. Be sure to fill out the reel settings and label your tapes accordingly (this saves a lot of headache). once you've logged everything, which is time consuming but worth it, then you batch capture. at the end you will have a library full of individual clips to use that are properly labeled and sorted.

10. blackbook macrumors newbie

is there anyway to have FCE split footage into clips based on new shots like iMovie??? :confused:

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The camera the shooter was using either didn't have its clock set or the watch battery that powers the camera's clock died out somewhere during the shoot.