Serious macbook Crashes.... What is causing them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljump12, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ljump12 macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2006
    Hey guys, ive had my macbook for about 3 months, i have applecare so regardless im sure I can get it fixed... But id like to know your opinion on why my macbook is crashing...

Randomly, but it seems as though alot of the times right after i unplug a connection, or move the macbook to a new location while its still on, i get the YOU NEED TO REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER... freeze screen. Ussually accompanied by Loud blasting of distorted sounds through the speakers, and the mouse frozen on the screen looking kind of distorted.

When i turn it off and reboot the CD drive usually sounds like its trying to work for about a minute before it reboots itself... (It sounds like its trying to take in a CD)... (EHHHH ennnn EHHH ennn.)

The Applecare guy told me i need to reformat becuase a files probally missing (He told me this right after i told him the problem) Is it just a software issue, or do you think thats just the first step in discovering a hardware issue?

2. Hockeypuck macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2006
    Kernal Panics (what you're having) can be a couple of different things. It may be software (reinstall your OS). I've also seen them come about from failing hard drives, bad ram, bad logic boards, there are lots of different things it could be.

First step though is to try reinstalling the OS.
  3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    back up all your data, then reinstall it.

You may also want to pick up TECHTOOL pro. it will help diagnose your mac. a very useful program suite.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Try running your hardware test CD first.

Anything obvious should show up.

Then, back up your Home folder and try a fresh OS install.

If that doesn't correct your problems, it's time to head to the Genius Bar.

Also make sure you log a case number with Apple Care NOW so you begin to
    establish a record early.

Keep names of anyone you talk to as well.
  5. BrianSalts macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    oo they mailed me techtool because i had applecare for my macbook :D
  6. ahm macrumors member

Feb 14, 2009
    This is a really old topic, but I found it in a google search. What terrible ****ing advice, honestly. Reinstall the OS? If there are kernel panics when you move it and only when you move it... it's obviously hardware.