Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I have a white macbook that I purchased in beginning of July. I haven't had serious problems with it till just now.

I was using my computer and I restarted it and I got a white screen at first. Then you see small thin lines going vertically at the bottom. Soon, the entire screen is filled with different color lines from top to bottom all the way across.

Here's a video, I filmed it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWsPzS5eKbs

And some screen captures of the video,

224400026_7489a067b0.jpg

224400028_8cb108880a.jpg

*another thing, hear that weird tapping noise in the middle of the clip? it's from the laptop too. I've restarted it a few times and it's been giving the same outcome.

I'm not too sure what the problem might be because I'm a recent Mac switcher from Windows even though I am familiar with computers.

I am going to try resetting the ram, but I will wait till replies.

Anyone have any ideas what's up??? It would be great help.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Looks like something is defo wrong with the GMA 950 or the display connection to the MLB

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
mad jew said:
I could be way off, but was it caused by the firmware update? :)

I received my firmware update when it first came out and I used the computer very frequently and did not have the problem till now. I doubt it's the firmware update, but may be a plausible answer to this problem.

kimcheeboi65

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
mad jew said:
I've heard some people have luck with resetting their PRAM (not sure if that's what you mean by resetting RAM) to get rid of the lines but if that doesn't help then I'd think about taking it back. :eek:

After I resetted the PRAM, the laptop started up fine. I tried resetting the RAM and it did not solve anything.

Still, why should Macs have these problems? what's causing it?

neonblue2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2006
Port Pirie, South Australia
It's a problem with the video card. I've had the same thing happen with my PowerBook and all I had to do was put in my startup disc, hold C at boot and reload the OS.

Nothing will be deleted so don't worry

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Why did you mess up your macbook.....just kidding. I would have already called apple and I would be waiting outside of my local apple store. I'm sure they can help you out.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
neonblue2 said:
It's a problem with the video card. I've had the same thing happen with my PowerBook and all I had to do was put in my startup disc, hold C at boot and reload the OS.

Nothing will be deleted so don't worry

Woah, dude, don't be hasty. Reinstalling the OS is almost a last resort, not a quick fix. You don't have to go that far. Just zapping the PRAM fixes most problems with video that aren't truly hardware failures.

jW

MilderMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2006
New York City
I used to have an iBook G3. I took it into Tek-Serve in downtown Manhattan and they said that the Logic Board was completey broken. Does the lines go away if the computer is moved or lightly tapped on the "wrist-rest". At the time it cost more than $600 to repair. It might be even more now that the technology is newer

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
Mal said:
Woah, dude, don't be hasty. Reinstalling the OS is almost a last resort, not a quick fix. You don't have to go that far. Just zapping the PRAM fixes most problems with video that aren't truly hardware failures.

jW

Agreed. This isn't Windows we're talking about :rolleyes:

SurfinSHELL23

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Aberdeen, NJ
Glad you got it fixed. I was having issues with just a blue screen on startup after installing an update a few weeks ago. Took it into our Apple store about an hour before closing and the Asst Mgr turned me away, saying that I hadn't made an appointment. Meanwhile a tech looked to be giving someone back a PowerBook. Is it true that you have to make an appointment?

Turns out it was a catalog error and I had to do a fresh install.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.