Serious: Makes more RAM my iBook G4 faster?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Falkenberg, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Falkenberg macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Hi everybody,
    I have recently upgraded from G3-700 MHz iBook to G4-1000 MHz...
    ... and was dissapointed. The speed increase is less than what I have expected, when writing text, email etc. (No games or anything CPU-heavy!).

So, what to do to make the iBook faster? Currentyl I have 256 MB RAM. Will another 256 MB make a seriuos difference with regard to speed?

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    off course it will... 256Mb is the bare minimum...

I used to have a Ti-Book 400 with 256 and Jaguar on it... very slow, then I upgraded to 1GB and it was nice (still not fast because of the processor) ran multile programs at the same time without complining... thats why you need more ram...
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, more RAM will improve the performance. 256 is the bare minimum for running OS X. If you're not doing any heavy lifting, upgrading to 512 should be fine.
  4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    As others have said, yes it will.

I would suggest however, if you can afford it, go with a 512mb memory upgrade (768mb total).
  5. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    What they said. You should have one open slot, put a 512 chip in it, for a total of 768.

Don't bother going up to a Gig - I spent the money for my TiBook, and was NOT impressed with the speed difference between 768 and 1 Gig.

Good luck!
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Too little RAM is equivalent to using the HD for RAM and they only have a bandwidth of 40-50MB/sec -- something a G3 could easily keep up with.

The G4s have a "saturated" FSB bandwidth of 1GB/sec -- many times quicker than having too little memory.

The Virtual Memory is great, since we don't ge out of memory errors, but it's slow -- and OS X requires a lot of RAM to avoid using Virtual Memory.
  7. Falkenberg thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004