Serious problems now

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BigBroMan, Jul 23, 2005.

1. BigBroMan macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2005
    Following on from my "Kernel panic" thread, the same machine had another around an our ago (now using another iMac to post this).

Except now when the system starts I get a "PPP interface <blah blah> is not connected" - because I have the modem plugged in here now to post this. After that message is okay'ed, I get my desktop picture and NOTHING at all on it.

The computer still goes into sleep mode ok.

I just tried a safe boot (by holding in shift key on power on) to no avail.

I reinstalled OS X Tiger, using archive and install - still boots up the same way.

Something has seriously gone wrong with this machine, which was working perfectly well under Panther for a couple of weeks (which was when I just bought it second hand).

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have documents and a 6GB iTunes collection on there I'd wish to keep hold of.
  2. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    I thought save mode was cmd+v during boot up? Obviously if you can get into that, then just copy everything off. Even if you can't see the icons, maybe try going through finder > go to folder to try and find the files to copy them off