Serious problems on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leghead, Jan 27, 2007.

1. leghead macrumors newbie

I was installing the latest adobe quicktime. Unfortunately i started to install the wrong one for my spec (G4 ibook) i think i started installing the power pc one. Anyway the loading counter came up and i couldn't force quit or anything the computer had frozen so i switched off. Now when i turn it on it stops for ages on 'loading files' and when i eventually get to login the loading counter just comes back and i can't get in. I would boot from cd but my cd drive appears to be broken (i can't physically push it in.) Is there some way around the login without booting from c.d? Grateful for any help!!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you joking or serious? :confused:

1) What on earth is Adobe Quicktime?
    2) The G4 iBook *IS* a PowerPC computer.
    3) Do you have a CD in the optical drive already? Try holding the trackpad button down on boot (to eject any discs in the iBook). Otherwise, try booting in Safe Mode.

3. leghead thread starter macrumors newbie

not really helping is it

Alright i don't know all the jargon you know but there's no need to get like that. It doesn't really matter what program it was although i can remember it being some sort of quicktime upgrade. All i know is that it gets stuck on startup for ages. I've tried holding apple s and it says it has 'successfully repaired the HFS files' so i turn it off then on again but it still doesn't work. I don't have a disc in the drive i tried holding the tracker before your patronising reply to a genuine post! Don't mean to be rude and thx for your time

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

so i'm assuming you still need help? try to be nicer.

apple makes quicktime, not adobe. ibook is ppc, plus, quicktime doesn't come out with intel only, so the latest version can't be wrong.

now, what's your problem?

5. leghead thread starter macrumors newbie

problem

Basically i downloaded the power pc version of the quicktime upgrade (which i now know to be the right one!) The computer froze and so I turned it off at the power. When i restarted it took ages to load 'file systems' on the first start up screen leading me to think there's some sort of software problem. It doesn't get past this and eventually just goes on to the login screen without loading properly. At the login screen i put in my details but the loading counter just comes up and doesn't log me in! My c.d drive was broken before this problem so i can't put the osx restore disc in. I was wondering whether there is a way around this problem possibly through apple-s. I've tried booting in safe mode but the problem remains the same.

I really have tried to word this the best i can and would appreciate any help on the issue

6. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

Easy there big fella, we're not here to harm ya...

Its just that your original post had a lot of conflicting information, which made it tricky for readers to determine what it was you were doing, and what the machine was that you were doing it on.
    Mkrishnan wasnt being an a*shole--he was just deciphering.

Anyhoo, it looks like your heading for a new install.

Are you able to network your iBook with another machine and copy your HD?
    Even if you dont end up having to re-install it'd be nice to backup before you start trying anything else

7. leghead thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably could get a link going with another apple user at uni, would it be an ethernet or firewire job?
    Also, if i could get my hands on an external c.d drive would i be able to restore through that?
    And if all else fails how much will it cost to get the drive repaired (which i want to do anyway.) Would it be best sending it to apple or get it done locally?