Serious Question about 2nd Revision iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss1, Jan 27, 2007.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    Could the following mean that we are a really really long way, like years, away from ever seeing a 2nd revision iPhone? and when one is released what might a 2nd rev. include? oh and by the way, My apologies for the pounding headaches I may have just given to those that may be thinking, "how can you possibly be serious about asking questions about a 2nd revision iPhone when the 1st one hasn't even shipped yet".

So revisions (generations) to a portable product such as the iPod have materialized over the years naturally as technologies got better, potential demand for smaller, slimmer, bigger hard drives, video playback, etc etc. Each revision in an iPod has seen a significant change and improvement over the previous revision. And within each revision a line of models within that revision ie, a 20g versions a 40g version and a 60g version.

However, is the iPhone much different? I think it may be very different.

Sure we could see other models within this generation of iPhone ie, an iPhone jr. less drive space maybe, or an iPhone Pro model, slightly larger, more pro applications maybe, and a larger hard drive or something to that effect. So what goes into a 2nd revision?

Keep in mind there are certain capabilities this device will probably never see because it's really not the direction Apple would probably want to go with a device. So no garage door opening capabilities etc.

Well it seems like when looking at the iPhones hardware, there are certain marketable limits it is very close to as is. For instance, the screen can't get much larger. 1 or more inches larger and it would just be too cumbersome and oddly for most people to want to carry around as a phone. It can't get much slimmer as it's already less than a half inch thick. Ok maybe it could get slightly slimmer but is that enough to justify a 2nd rev? what's the promo going to look like for that one, iPhone just went from .46" thick to .30".

Core animation on it and video playback and the speed at which it loads things seems very fluid on it as it is now. So a speedier processor for what? It's not like their marketing the iPhone's proccessor speed anyhow so an upgrade in that direction doesn't seem likely soon. the new iPhone 2.0ghz? nah.

What about software? It seems like the biggest improvements could come from software installed on the iPhone. Apps that run on the iPhone and the iPhone OS. That is very possible however, even if you did have to pay to upgrade to iPhone OS Lite 2.0 how much could it possibly cost? 50bucks aroundish?

So what significant changes/improvements a 2nd revision iPhone?

P.S. 1st person to say CDMA gets a slap in the face :D
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    You should get a prize for talking about Rev B before Rev A even comes!
    But seriously, are we a long ways away? Who knows...the first Rev isn't even out. Maybe it'll tank and you won't care about Rev B.
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    oh, yeah, u really asked a future question.

1. will apple ever consider a rev B? depends on the market reaction to Rev A after it comes out, if in 6 months, the marker isn't good, I doubt if apple will put more money in. In my memory, only M$ will put money in the market even if it can't get profit for 4 years.

2. whatelse a rev B could have? its impossible to predict a future product, consider the technology developed so quick, in 2 years, u might have much powerful CPU, cheaper larger flash memory, new OS, etc, etc

3. iPod will eventually get iphone's touch screen and other features, how to distinguish them while still keep iphone attractive? thats another factor that will decide if rev B wil ever surface.
  4. UberMac macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2005
    What were the significant upgrades in the iPod before the photo?

It didn't really DO anything new. Sure, it got slimmer and got a bigger HD, but they're not major things. What makes those count as a major change for a new revision, but a slimmer, higher capacity, better resolution, video chattin', 3G utilizing, laptop replacing update to the iPhone not count?

If you ask me, they'd all be things that could go into a Rev B and count as a new revision.

A speedier processor for what?! I'm sure about 30 years ago the IBM chairman said he saw a global demand for 5 computers. Things change! In ten years you'll be furious when your 9 and a half year old iPhone can't display holograms! (A hologram generator - now that would be revision worthy!) (Or a teleporter) (Or a time machine) (or would :apple: *giggle - new smiley button* not want to use those things because they're not in the "right direction for the iPhone?) So back to my point, a speedier processor to decode all those billions of atoms you just teleported through it, and reassemble them in the right order with your arms still attached to the correct part of your body!

EDIT: (of course, if you hack your 9 and a half year old iPhone with the new OS Liger and try to teleport yourself, you might find yourself with a nasty case of a beachballing iPhone! And where would that leave you?! some halfway house between Chicago and Grantham...heck you might even get a kernel panic, and then you'd be stuck inside some corn for the rest of your days, wishing that you'd waited for the new rev B iPhone with added teleportation powers. But heck, how'd they have marketed that, it's not worthy of a new revision!)
  5. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003

There's no way this is a serious question. The thing hasn't even been released yet. Why speculate about something you think you know about when in fact you've never even touched it.
  6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    When the first iPod came out, what could they possibly do it improve upon it?
    Well, they kept the same feature set and had 4 different revisions of it before even adding a color screen.

so let's not get too ahead of ourselves yet.
  7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I fondled it.
    hah I kieeed I kieeed
  8. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Sorry can't help you.

My magic 8 ball crashed again ...

Must be Windows Vista SR1 incompatibility with my current magic 8 ball, probably will need to upgrade the motherboard again. :mad:
  10. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    For the same reason I thought a car radio capable of reading mp3 cd's was not only a good idea but realistically feasible long before they existed, back when MacAmp and Soundjam was the latest in MP3 technology. For the same reason I touted the likely hood of a video playback iPod on a different forum while others thought it was very unlikely.

I'm not claiming to know, I'm drawing conclusions and reasonable speculation based on what we believe to know. Besides I'm willing to be there's probably already a group of individuals at Apple assigned to work on a 2nd revision or at least play around with ideas. So I don't think the idea of what a 2nd revision iPhone would be is too far fetched or too far a stretch of the imagination.
  11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2005
    I would also say it will come with two cameras one for video conferencing and the other will be a standard 3.2mp camera.
  12. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Well...Maybe two years away would be my guess but I'm no cellular phone marketer, designer, ...

• 16:9 screen - Current is widescreen but not 16:9, otherwise, very similar dimensions / weight
    • 3G or 3.5G data / voice
    • 4x the storage, maybe push 8x
    • GPS
    • 4MP camera, maybe push 6MP

Software wise, too many possibilities.
  13. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    There's going to need to be a second revision of the iPhone by the end of this year if not next year to allow it to fully work with Europe/Asia's more advanced phone networks.
  14. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Jul 15, 2006
    The REV2 will fix a lot of problems, I wont personally buy the first iPhone, because it isnt big enough!

I want to put video on it, but id only have 1.5GB left after i put my music on it, and thats the 8GB model!

But i am going to buy a full screen iPod the day after the superbowl! ;)
  15. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    While Apple did state there will be a 3G or 3.5G model "down the road" it didn't sound overly soon. Well, if it succeeds at all that's a given ( duh! ). They might or they might not for the non-US releases. Apple wouldn't need to but it would help.

I just don't see the iPhone having the same revision frequency as the iPod lines but that's me and with the currently available information...Which isn't much. :)
  16. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    To speculate at what iPhone Rev B will be even before Rev A is released it a futile exercise.

Heck, we don't even know what Rev A will be in its final state.
  17. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2003
    I don't see why this question is so stupid. I'm sure apple has to 1) diversify and 2) upgrade iPhone. One major advantage with the given design is that it is very upgradeable - with it being 99% software. Like SJ said - it's not easy moving a physical button - but when it comes to software buttons it's another story.

And, Apple has actually developed a "mobile phone platform". I'm sure they will come in different sizes. At least a 2.5" that will fit better in your jeans pocket. An iPhone Nano. It would be plain stupid not to build more phones since they have the platform. This is how car makers build cars and other mobile phone makers.

iPod - to be honest the iterations on the iPod has been quite slow. But every step has made it more valuable. 3G is a "no brainer" - when in europe it has to be 3G. Larger memory - Apple owns the NAND-market - the biggest buyer and they will probably make 16 GB within the year. That is quite usable space after converting films with Handbrake for example.

The 80 GB iPod is 349 USD - the iPhone 4 GB is 499. I would not hesitate for a second which one I would choose. The qustions is - what's the point with a 3.5" touchscreen iPod with 100 GB hard drive? These products WILL converge. If you say that the iPhone does not have sufficient memory space - well it should be easy to add "external hard drive" - add a 4GB compact flash/SD-card on the bottom of the iPhone and you can bring movies with you...
  18. boss1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    I think one of the reasons Apple steered away from including a removable flash type memory slot is because of the manner in which the iPhone accesses audio/video content through it's built in player (of course I could be completely wrong). However, It's my suspicion that a crucial part of the iPhone being able to access audio video and photo content seamlessly and easily is due to what happens when the iPhone syncs with iTunes. Directories and other pertinent library information are created on the iPhone during a sync that allows the iPhone to access media. Removable media without syncing with iTunes would not have that benefit. Isn't it true that an iPod can't play media stored on an external device for the same reason? Someone familiar with iPods fill me in?
  19. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Oh ok. Allow me to fill you in.

1) REV A is not out yet, we have no idea what final feature set it will include, or what problems will arise that Apple may need to fix.

2) It is well known that Apple plans on making this a line, so we don't even know what the final product family will look like, as some features may only be found in certain ones.

3) It is impossible to determine what future technologies will happen and what those will mean for the cell phone industry, so any ideas for revisions would be speculation on speculation of technologies that Apple might include with speculation of whether they will even exist or not.

That's why.
  20. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Of course, it is stupid. Presumeably, Apple is working on several new members of the iPhone family. Some have more features; others have fewer; and still others are evolutions of the announced prototype. As others have said, you don't know which phone will go on sale as the first commercial model. The ones which follow on will be determined by market conditions and other considerations which have yet to reveal themselves.
  21. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2007
    maybe the better question is: What changes will they make to Rev A before releasing?
  22. theman5725 macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2006
    The only thing I can be sure of is that Rev B will have bigger storage.
  23. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I don't know about Rev. B, but the speculation is that within 5-8 yrs, the iPhone, or the evolution of it will be the computer. It will be totally portable, contain what you need on it and you can take it to work, home, a family or friend's house, or a kiosk and connect it wirelessly with at least a mouse, keyboard, and also a screen (though that may be wired), most likely even tv screens. The only interesting element will be the storage of it. By then flash memory will be what HDD storage is today. But you may still need other storage for media, etc at home with the iPhone containing a subset of that.
  24. Stewdy macrumors member

May 7, 2002
    Some kind of appletv integration...

At least that's what I hope they add to the thing. I really want to be able to watch the game while i'm actually at the game to catch replays and such. That's the only reason I'd consider a Blackjack or Q2 (should be a superscript 2) when it comes out is for Slingbox compatibility. I'm already with ATT, my contract has been up for almost a year and my RAZR is really showing its age so I'll definitely need something sooner rather than later. The wife has already ok'd the iPhone if I want one. :D I hope that's the "missing square" in the lower right of the screen...
  25. andmill macrumors member

Dec 10, 2006
    I so want CDMA :p