Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
It's coming to Macintosh on April 23rd, seriously! Apparently it's been announced for OS X before PS3 or XBOX 360. Odd, right? In any case, I remember reading a few years ago that the company behind the game was looking to port the original to OS X (back in 2001) but it, nor it's two sequels (2nd Encounter in 2002 and Serious Sam 2 in 2005) saw release on OS X. It looks like the long awaited sequel (err, prequel) Serious Sam 3 BFE (Before First Encounter) in 2012 is different.

I remember playing the original game and SS 2 on a friends PC about 2 years ago and it was a blast. It is a lot like Painkiller (came out after) and its more of a throwback to the old DOOM games. Even though I like DNF, I wished it was more like serious sam. Apparently everyone else feels Serious Sam 3 is a better sequel than DNF was and I have a feeling they're right.

With Painkiller never coming to OS X and lots of people I know preferring Serious Sam it looks like we will get some... fun =D

Discuss? Also, from what I read the system reqs shouldn't be a steep as DNF and because it doesn't use the unreal engine (harr dee harr harr) it should run better regardless.

Bring on Serious Engine 3.5, SERIOUSLY!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I keep meaning to pick up SS3. Loved the first one on PC and Xbox, picked up the Steam versions (part 1 and 2 in "HD"?) but I've yet to play through them :).

Do we know if this is Steamplay enabled? If it is I might pick it up now.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Can't say for sure but according to the trailer released by croteam it does say "Steam" will be one of the distribution places. I imagine it will be steam play enabled but just in case you might want to wait. It makes me wonder if we will get the 1st and 2nd encounter ported over in HD. Seeing as they both use the serious engine 3, it probably wouldn't be that hard to do. A lot of people didn't like Serious Sam 2 but I don't think its a bad game and I wouldn't mind seeing that on OS X either. But i will just take SS 3 and be happy =D

ElusiveLotus

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Will serious sam 3 run well on my 2012 i5 macbook pro, 4gb mem w/ 384 vram, and intel hd 4000 graphics?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.