seriously, help me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kellymichelle, Dec 23, 2006.

1. kellymichelle macrumors newbie

I've just recieved an iMac from my mother. Everything was going great until I decided to change the name next to the "house" icon in the finder sidebar to my own. There are now two users, I can't find things, things are disappearing. She had spent months cataloguing movies in iDive, and after several tense moments I discovered they were still on the computor, but not in that program. How do I fix this? I'm so confused, my ears are ringing, and I'm afraid of doing irreversible damage.

please, someone help me!

2. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

sorry I can't help, but I'd like to change the name of the house as well. I accidentally hit the continue button so I am not stuck with t86y as my house name which I really really don't want. It said that I am stuck with this, but surely there is a way to fix it... Any advice?

Good luck. Hope everything works out.

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

The only way to really change it, is to do a clean install of Mac OS X.:(

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

5. kellymichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!

thank you so so so so so so so much. really. I was panicked, and didn't know what to do, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

I'm a design student, and i was just so thrilled at having my very own iMac, and then I just lost where I was going.

That really helped!

Kelly*

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

So everything's back to normal? Yay! This seems to happen to new Mac users all the time. The Finder really ought to throw up a warning message if the home folder gets touched, since the results are invariably scary.

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Can I back up all my work and what not including a lot of applications I have for customizing my mac and still be able to do a clean install and what not?

8. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yes, it's by far easier just to create a new account with the name you want and to transfer all your files over to it.

9. ricksbrain macrumors regular

When you create the new user account, there's no need to reinstall the operating system. Once you transfer all the files you want to the new account, you can delete the old account if you like.

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

So then you could create this new account, delete the old account. And then Create another new account but have this one the original titles and the way you want it exactly. And then delete the once new account correct?

If that makes sense.

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Create the new account, copy everything to a folder that the new user can access, change permissions by CMD+Click on the folder and change it to where the group (admin usually) has access to the folder, login as the new user, copy what's in the directories to your directories (e.g. documents->all items to the new users documents folder, and so on). Make sure you can access the items, then delete the old user.

EDIT: Or you can do this. Create the new user and when you click to delete the user it'll ask if you'd like to keep all the files that that user has in their folder, choose yes, and it'll create a DMG with all the files from that user in it, removing the permissions of that user from the files. Then just copy and move them over into your account - THE FILES THAT IS.