Seriously, How will a Wii look on my LCD HDTV?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scootie Puff Jr, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Scootie Puff Jr macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2006
  2. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Looks like you can't have component on that. Go for S-Vdeo. You won't get progressive scan but it'll be fine.

from best to worst you have;
    Component-Scart---S-Video---Composite------------RF :p
  3. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    The Wii looks fine on my 50" plasma.

I just got the component cables and haven't hooked them up yet, so it should get much better.
  4. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I thought it looked like crap via composite cable (RCA) But I upgraded to the Componet Cable (RGB) which runs at 480P, it made a slight difference but the wii isn't really supposed to be about the graphics, it's about the game play. After a while you get past the graphics part. The best looking game so far has been zelda.
  5. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Looks fine on my 60" Sony LCD too, still with composite cables. I will definitely get the component cables, though, as I expect a significant difference. Stinks that the TV doesn't have component inputs, but still, I'd say get the s-video as'll get plenty of improvement there too, I bet.
  6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Sony makes a 60" LCD with no component inputs?!?!

My 50" Pioneer Elite looks fine when you use components, but under composite it looked muddy and not as vibrant.

When you switch up to component you will notice the little things, like the static on the unused channels on the main wii menu :p

It doesnt make a huge difference in anything but sharpness and some color/vibrance. Its still jaggie in most all games regardless of video cable, in fact you actually see more jaggies with the increased sharpness of the component cables. I still have fun on my Wii regardless of video quality, though at times i really want a standard controller.

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    According to the info, there are - not one - but TWO component inputs on that TV.

So if that's correct, it should look fine.

EDIT: I see the confusion: the chart at the bottom says that there is no component input, but just above in the description it says "Inputs: 1 composite, 1 S-video, 2 component, 1 HDMI-HDCP with audio, 1 PC (RGB/VGA), 1 audio mini, 4 dual RCA audio and 1 antenna"

I think the chart must be wrong because what HDTV doesn't have component? It's kind of a standard now.
  8. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I see that and I'm only using Composite on a regular 32" widescreen tube TV!
  9. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I can't tell if you're joking or not, but he was referring to the OP's TV, not his own. :)

I've heard a few people say this. I wonder what it would have taken for Nintendo to allow standard (GC?) controllers used as well?

I'm still okay with swingin' the ol' Wiimote around, but I can see how it could get old for some folks.
  10. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't know if it is true or not but on the Wii forums on they are saying SSBB is going to use the classic or GC controller.
  11. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I don't see why. You don't use many buttons in Super Smash. What I was thinking was turn the controller on the side, 1+2 become A+B and then use the d-pad up for jump and the A button for block.
  12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol yes, I certainly have component inputs, though just 2 along with 1 HDMI. Those get tied up between the HD DVR, the PS3, and eventually the Wii. Guess that means no AppleTV for me... :(
  13. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Wii with component looks ok on my LCD tv's in general.

There is a lot of jaggies on some games which LCD highlights (where you dont notice as much on a CRT TV)

Zelda, Red Steel are noticeably jaggie, and on a decent sized LCD the image does go very soft still. Sometimes lacking in clarity (much like stretching a small 640x480 picture over your higer resolution monitor).

Component 480p is certainly a vast improvement over composite. Textures are more evident in some games, unfortunetly they also highlight poor textures in other games which you wouldnt have noticed on an older TV as much.

Overall very good, but theres still that icky feeling knowing it would look so much better in a native 720p res. Eliminating a lot of the jaggies.

The brighter and simpler the game design (wii sports , wario ware) the better it looks. The more detailed games tend ironically to fare the worse.
  14. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    No, he's referring to the TV belonging to the OP.
  15. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    I was at Best Buy yesterday buying a Wii and they had all of their Wii stuff out on a bench by the registers. They had out on the table two different sets of component cables, among other things. One was $60 and the other was $30. When I pickup up the $30 set, a BB employee made sure to let me know that the set in my hands was not shielded and that I was sure to suffer from poor image quality. If I wanted an insulated set and thus a better picture, I needed to spend twice that amount to get the high end cables (not Monster by the way).

I understand that the employee was just trying to upsell me to the more expensive cables but is there any truth to what he was saying? Surely the $30 cables were shielded to some degree. Maybe not as much as the expensive cables but at least enough for the average user?

So, can anyone recommend a good set of cables for a decent price and preferably a set that I can pick up rather than waiting a few days and possibly a week for?
  16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Topgunn, it is true that shielding can be an issue with analog cables (VGA, Component), but to be honest, they were also just trying to upsell you. My DVD player was coming into my TV through whatever really cheap RCA cables I had laying around (but using 3x video component / 2x analog audio). I noticed some flurrying that was very subtly visible on certain frames. It did go away when I got a nicer set of shielded cables (still not very expensive,, $15 shipped or so). But then my DVR is still coming in through cheap RCA cables that were laying around, and I've never noticed a problem with it.

Of course, if you buy a Wii cable, it's only good for that purpose, whereas these cables can always get re-used for something else. Still I honestly would not bother with ultra-expensive cables.
  17. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Just as an update, I am not really impressed with the difference in quality on my Wii between the component and composite cables...
  18. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2006
    I think the difference is day and night!
    On Christmas I stayed at my girlfriends folks house and I'd bought us a Wii. We hooked it up to their standard TV via composite. Had fun, but it didn't look that sharp.
    Back to our pad and I hooked it up to our samsung HDTV via component and it's brilliant. Looks awesome!

I love wii sports! Golf is awesome.
  19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    It says that screen has component, S-video, and composite.

Go for component if you can, S-video if you can't, and composite if you don't want to buy any new cables.
  20. Antares macrumors 68000

Did you remember to change the Wii setting to 480p after connecting the component cable?
  21. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Yes, I did.
  22. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Is component that much better than Scart?

Intrested in a Wii and of course have to replace the composite cable but i normally use RGB Scart for a pin sharp display.

Would liekt o keep the component clear for a possible 360 later on.
  23. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2006
    If you can't run component cables, a Scart connection will give you the best next picture quality and will be a big step up from the bundled cables that come with the Wii.

Avoid S-Video if you can, it's lousy and not as good as common perception thinks it is - your RGB Scart is much more superior than S-Video.

Whatever console you have, try to aim for HDMI or VGA connection (like the one for the 360 - HD AV) as these are the two best connections you could have for your console. Else go for Component, and then Scart.