Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Ok, so I didn't think I would have this problem, but this is ridiculous.
Here is a hugely overestimated summary of what I have on this MBA:
Music: 30GB (iTunes says 19)
Movies: 15GB (iTunes says 11)
TV Shows 5GB (iTunes says sub 2)
Apps: 5GB (I haven't downloaded or imported any apps other than a couple widgets)
System (and all stock apps): 10GB

SSD Space Used: 89GB!!

The absolute MAXIMUM that I could have is 65GB (which I outlined above).

Could someone please enlighten me as to how in the name of god I used up those 23 gigs?

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
I count a mystery 24 gigs, but anyhoo... I'm about to purchase a MBA when they get back in stock. Did you buy the 128 gig model knowing you were going to load that much stuff onto it? Just curious as I haven't decided on size of storage yet. It just seems like I stream so much stuff lately... Good luck though, just for fun call one of the Genius' and see what they say! :)

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Ok, so I didn't think I would have this problem, but this is ridiculous.
Here is a hugely overestimated summary of what I have on this MBA:
Music: 30GB (iTunes says 19)
Movies: 15GB (iTunes says 11)
TV Shows 5GB (iTunes says sub 2)
Apps: 5GB (I haven't downloaded or imported any apps other than a couple widgets)
System (and all stock apps): 10GB

SSD Space Used: 89GB!!

The absolute MAXIMUM that I could have is 65GB (which I outlined above).

Could someone please enlighten me as to how in the name of god I used up those 23 gigs?

Rebuild your iTunes library - there are probably songs that you've deleted from within iTunes that haven't been deleted on the system. Whenever you delete, you have to choose "Send to Trash" when prompted.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Delete it all and start over!

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Rebuild your iTunes library - there are probably songs that you've deleted from within iTunes that haven't been deleted on the system. Whenever you delete, you have to choose "Send to Trash" when prompted.

I don't know about that... 11 gb for the extra he gave to music plus 24 gb.. that means he would have 35 gb of unaccounted for music.. that is a lot of songs

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My opinion is to reformat and then load only the OSX components you need or want, then selectively restore your data.

Also download and use omnidisksweeper It shows you all your folders/files sorted by size, that is larges at the top. It will show you where your space is going.

Don't also forget to take into account the swap space and the sleepimage file as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.