Server Networking

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chris_edridge, Sep 10, 2004.

1. chris_edridge macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2004
    HELP! HELP! HELP! :eek:
    I am desperately trying to network 2 iMacs & 2 eMacs with a G5. :confused:

I want the G5 to control the network (I have the OS X Server 10.3 on it). Control includes centrally holding all user profiles & user files, the firewall, virus software, standard software & internet connection.

Both iMacs/eMacs are running Standard OS X 10.3. In addition, I have an Airport Base Station.

HELP! HELP! HELP! I have tried everything! Read countless websites & books. Everything ends up not making sense or with a deadend :(

I was told Mac's were as easy to use as a toaster, disillusioned :(

1 x Apple Mac G5: OS X Server 10.3 (Fully Updated)
    2 x Apple iMac: OS X 10.3 (Fully Updated)
    2 x Apple eMac: OS X 10.3 (Fully Updated)
    Airport Extreme Base Station
  2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    So what exactly do you require help with?

Is it the actual networking the systems together or the configuring of the Server/Clients?
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Mate, you need a consultant to set that up for you. I can't imagine it's gonna be all that easy to make all that work the way you want (centrally held data/authentication etc). I doubt very much that it's gonna be something that can be explained in words here.
  4. mac4drew macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2003
    so... what exactly is the problem?

They are... but a server's a server, you still gotta know what you're doing to set it up.

Or you have to pose a specific question, not just "HELP! I don't get this!!"

From what you've said everything should be fine. Give us a good question and we'll give you an answer!
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Do you want the G5 to hold disk images that the iMacs and eMacs boot from?

You probably don't need the virus software - unless you accidentally send .pif files to people. It just eats up resources. And no, virus software will not protect against unwritten viruses. The virus has to be out first and then the company who makes the anti virus software has to write a fix for it. There's no need for anti virus unless, like I said, you're absent minded.
  6. scottwat macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA

ok I've ran a whole network of mac's so here is the basics. I assume you want to authenticate and run your home directories off the server. So you have to set up the server with your user accounts. Use the admin tools to do that. Read through the admin manual it isnt that hard. Then you have to get ther client to like or want to log into the server. Go to "directory access" in the utilities folder on each of the clients. Now this assumes that 10.3 works on netinfo like 10.2 I havent gotten to use 10.3 yet. Then click on netinfo and configure, you could try auto or give the server ip addy and then "network" in the tag. save and restart. Then log in as one of your users. As for antivirus, I wouldnt worry yet, I don't think there is anything but proof of concepts, but if you keep your systems updated you should be fine.
  7. scottwat macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA
    network connection?

How are you connecting these? I assume the emacs and imacs have wireless is that how you are connecting them? What about the G5? Honestly I wouldnt run home directories over the network unless you have 100 Mb or better. It can be serious lagtime, and really hamper performance. Assuming you are doing anything that would need even modest performance.