Server: Powermac G4 vs. Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Brother Michael, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I am thinking about putting together an OS X server. I have tried many different versions of Linux and have been unhappy with them all.

So which computer would make a better home server? An older Powermac G4 or a Mac Mini?

Powermac G4:
    Pros: Cheap, expandable
    Cons: Specs are considerably worse than a Mac Mini.

Mac Mini:
    Pros: Cheap, small, Specs are better than a Pmac.
    Cons: Not as expandable, would server functions be appropriate for that small (physically) HDD in there?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I say G4 PowerMac. At work we have a 733mhz Quicksilver on a 6 mac network with some added cards (ATA and FW800) and drives and it works beautifully... I don't think processor speed comes into play very much here, although that's just a guess.

I'm not sure whether the Mini's drive would be as responsive or perhaps have the capacity that you might end up wanting.

However, depending on the model of G4PM you may find the Mini noticeably quieter which may be a selling point, as well as space requirements.

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

In regards to Processor Speed that is the exact reason why I don't think that a Mini is the "be all to end all" for what I am trying to do.

I am also afraid that I burn up the little HDD in a Mini.

However, again with it's size I could sitck it on the shelf in my closet with the router and essentially forget about it.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Home server = less than 5 users = speed is absolutely not critical. Don't sweat it, use the G4 tower if you have it, use the Mini if you have it (we use a Mini as our corporate Filemaker Pro server. It's not high volume so the Mini is just fine wid it.)

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

For a home server it doesn't really matter which, they should both fit the bill.

But the Power Mac G4 can be heavily upgraded if need be to do all sorts of things. I'd probably lean in that direction myself.

6. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I have a Mini, and have been using it as a server. I love it. First off, the Mini is silent, second, it uses like 13 watts running.. My mom's PowerMac (G4- 500) makes 3 times the noise, and uses a much larger power supply. Only problem with the Mini is, where are you gonna stick that RAID card, and the RAID array?? If the mini has everything you need, I'd go with that. For me, the mini is the way to go.

7. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I'm using a linux box with software raid for my home file/service server. I use debian, and with its apt-get system for package installation life could not be better.