Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Hope this makes sense

I have a Mac Mini running headless in the loft set-up as a server - my question is should it be running with an account logged in all the time ?

I use the server for all the usual things, file sharing, backups, iTunes media shares, etc...

should all the services I'm wanting to use off the server run in the background or does it need an account logged in to function

How do others have theirs set-up

Thanks in advance

Phil G

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
There's no need, I don't believe any of this functions needs an app to be open, they all are run from a deamon. Best thing to do - log out the mini and check if all the services you want are still available. If so, leave it logged out.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Thanks for the quick reply - just tried logging the server off - i.e. no user accounts running - and found that the basic server functions appear to work - Shares, DNS, DCHP, Time Machine etc. but iTunes media sharing not working - i also use carbon copy cloner - it appears this also need to be logged in.

PG

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
yeah for iTunes, you need to have the app running thus you need to be logged in. you could always lock the server with an app or screen saver lock.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Set your computer to lock the screen and require a password. Voila: Password protected and access to user-land based services.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Same applies to AirVideo HD Server. The power it uses should be the same shouldn't it?
Any 'application' iTunes, plex, air video etc will need a user account logged in. The most simple solution is above and the only issue you'll run into is if there is a power cut and it's set to reboot after power failure. You'll need to log in to regain these services. I have everything set on my server to auto start on boot and I've set it to auto log in. My server is locked in a safe so I don't have an issue with that personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.