server side photo gallery/album softwares ??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kothrush, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macrumors member

kothrush

I have set-up my domain with dreamhost and have my own little blog and forum running for personal use. I am also sharing some of my photos right now by creating photo album via iPhoto/iWeb and giving manual link from the front page to photo gallery. ( my site: rushabh.smallthingy.net )

I am looking for server side software which can automatically generate albums and photo galeery , so that I do not have to create html code all the time. I just upload photos, select themes and thats it. Is there any good software available ?

So far, I only know of Gallery V2. But I am not very fond of gallery. The album created are not good visually and slideshow java applet just make me throw up.

Other one I came across is slideshowpro. I have only read about it on the website. Anyone has tried it ? How is it ? Slideshows look pretty appealing on their demo site. I would like to know more about it.

Do you guys know any of the other software which I can install on server side for slideshow/photo album generation ? thanks.

2. macrumors regular

3. Guest

Try looking at JetPhoto.

It has Client and Server software, allows you to publish your iPhoto libraries and it's free!

And the reviews on versiontracker are excellent

4. thread starter macrumors member

kothrush

JetPhoto is nice

Jet photo is looking nice. I played with it for a while and liking it. Thanks guys. Any more such softwares out there ?

5. macrumors demi-god

CopperMine is what I (and a bunch of my friends) use. I'll have to look at the Jet Photo one.

I wish someone would make one that interfaced 100% with iPhoto ... i.e. all of the folders and albums you create in iPhoto you could easy import into it.

6. thread starter macrumors member

kothrush

Exactly !

Agreed. That is the main reason I am not planning to use Gallery, even though It's one of the most famous one out there. Currently, I am just making album with iWeb/RapidWeaver and syncing it manually online.

Played with Jetphoto, its nice. Although I am not able to find options to change some of the stuff like , top image , name of the albums etc. I guess i need to do digg in more.

7. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm confused... why not use Gallery? If its because of the lack of iPhoto support, this can be fixed with a simple plugin... it works perfectly for me.

8. thread starter macrumors member

kothrush

Well iphoto plugin is not a problem with gallery. But, the problem is the layout and slideshow feature. I do not like that Java applet launching for slideshow and it does not work well with all browsers.

Gallery has lots of feature , but layout is not cachy and for slideshow I would like to have some "eye candy".