Service Pack 1 for Office 2004 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zaty, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Zaty macrumors 65816

2. larry k. macrumors newbie

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Strange that its not in autoupdate....

Downloading as i type!

Hope it'll fix some stability issues, I just had word crash on me today and I lost a bunch of work I was doing :mad:
    Gotta hate microsoft

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Installed the update. Everything seems to work fine so far...

4. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

From the Read Me

3 Improvements included in Office 2004 11.1
    The improvements described below fix numerous security and stability issues in Office 2004.

3.1 Improvements for Word 2004

3.1.1 AutoRecover functions correctly when FileVault is enabled
    Previously, setting the AutoRecover folder location (Word menu, Preferences command, File Locations) to a location inside a FileVault-protected home folder did not work. This has been fixed. FileVault is an Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with 128-bit keys that secures your home folder by automatically encrypting the contents. For more information about FileVault, see Apple Help.

3.1.2 Security is improved when you open a document that has macros
    Word, Excel, and PowerPoint now support an additional level of security that affects macros that open other Office documents containing macros. You can use the Application.AutomationSecurity property to set the level of security desired. For more information about the Application.AutomationSecurity property, see Knowledge Base (KB) article KB 886633 at http://support.microsoft.com.

3.1.3 Text changes to the font selected on the Font menu
    In some cases, a font change did not take effect when you used the Font menu. This happened when the WYSIWYG font and style menus check box was cleared in Preferences (on the Word menu, click Preferences, and then click the General tab) and then the Font menu was used to change the font of text in a document. This problem has been fixed. The text now changes to the font that you select in the Font menu.

3.1.4 Swiss German proofing tools are correctly detected
    Previously, the Compatibility Report in Word erroneously reported the following:

Swiss German proofing tools are not installed.

This problem has been fixed. Text marked as Swiss German text is proofed using the German proofing tools, which are installed by default. The Compatibility Report no longer reports this issue.

3.1.5 Text selection is improved
    Previously, when you double-clicked a word to select it, and then dragged the selection to include more words, Word sometimes selected the preceding word in addition to the words you selected. This problem has been fixed. Word no longer selects the word preceding the word you select.

3.2 Improvements for PowerPoint 2004

3.2.1 Performance is improved when you play movies in a slide show
    When you play a movie in a slide show, performance is improved, resulting in movies playing more smoothly in most cases.

3.2.2 Compatibility with fonts is improved
    Compatibility with fonts is improved, resulting in better overall appearance of fonts. Font compatibility includes Open Type fonts, symbol fonts, and fonts used in presentations created in other versions of PowerPoint.

3.2.3 Dragging objects on a slide works correctly when the ruler is turned on
    When you drag an object on your slide and the ruler is turned on, the object now remains in the position where you put it.

3.2.4 Security is improved when you open a document that has macros
    Word, Excel, and PowerPoint now support an additional level of security that affects macros that open other Office documents containing macros. You can use the Application.AutomationSecurity property to set the level of security desired. For more information about the Application.AutomationSecurity property, see Knowledge Base (KB) article KB 886633 at http://support.microsoft.com.

3.3 Improvements for Excel 2004

3.3.1 Security is improved when you open a document that has macros

3.4 Improvements for Entourage 2004

3.4.1 Entourage icon remains stationary when a connection error occurs
    When a connection error occurs and an error log entry is generated, the Entourage icon will no longer bounce in the Dock.

3.4.2 Sent messages display Sent status in the Microsoft Outlook Info Bar
    In some cases, messages sent from Entourage did not appear in the Info Bar as “Sent” when viewed in Microsoft Outlook. This has been fixed. Now, when a message is sent from Entourage, the Info Bar shows the message as “Sent” when viewed in Microsoft Outlook.

3.4.3 Connection to the Internet by using an internal modem is improved
    Previously, connecting to the Internet by using an internal modem could cause problems. Entourage attempted to connect to another internal modem or Infrared Data Association (IrDA) wireless device after it made a Point-to-Point (PPP) connection to an external modem. This problem has been fixed. Entourage now connects to the Internet using the current connection.

3.4.4 SMTP using SSL connections is improved
    Sending e-mail messages by using SSL connections sometimes caused problems. In some cases, the message was not sent. This problem has been fixed.

3.4.5 Pictures from iPhoto can be attached to an e-mail message
    Attaching pictures from iPhoto to e-mail messages sometimes caused problems. In some cases, a file with the file name Attachment (PlayerPro document).669 was attached instead. This problem has been fixed.

3.4.6 Microsoft User Data folder is accessible from network volume
    Accessing your Microsoft User Data folder from a network volume sometimes caused problems. In some cases, when you attempted to access the folder, the following messages appeared:

? Entourage cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database.
    ? An unknown (16008) error occurred.

This problem has been fixed.

3.4.7 Keyboard shortcuts in Adobe CS products are available when Entourage is open
    In some cases, keyboard shortcuts in Adobe CS products were not available when Entourage was open on your computer. This problem has been fixed. Keyboard shortcuts are now available in Adobe CS products when Entourage is open on your computer.

3.4.8 Entourage can connect to Domino IMAP servers
    Entourage could not connect to Domino IMAP servers that use double-backslash “\\” as a directory separator. This problem has been fixed.

3.4.9 SSL support for Exchange delegate access is improved
    Entourage 2004 now allows Exchange delegate access over SSL.

3.4.10 Connecting to a POP account is improved
    Connection to a POP account when using Entourage sometimes caused problems. In some cases, Entourage did not detect that the server had closed the connection. This problem has been fixed.

3.5 Improvements for Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) Client
    Remote Desktop Connection Client 1.0.3 for Mac provides improved stability when you minimize the client window and when you copy and paste data from the client window to Macintosh applications. Stability is also improved for users of Mac OS X 10.3 and later, and when Remote Desktop Connection Client is used on Macintosh computers with PowerPC G5 processors.

4 Files updated
    This service pack changes the files listed below. After the service pack is installed, you can check the version numbers of the following Office program files to verify that the version numbers are 11.1.0. To see the version number of a file, select it in the Finder, and then click Show Info on the File menu.

Microsoft Excel
    Microsoft PowerPoint
    Microsoft Word
    Microsoft Entourage
    MS OLE Automation
    ShMem.bundle
    Microsoft Component Plugin
    Visual Basic for Applications
    Word 11 Type Library
    PowerPoint 11 Type Library
    Office 11 Type Library
    Excel 11 Type Library
    FontCacheTool
    SetupAssistant.bundle
    SAU.tar.gz
    Project Gallery Launcher
    MicrosoftCertUI.bundle
    Microsoft Office Notifications
    Microsoft Office
    Microsoft Graph
    Microsoft Framework
    Microsoft Database Daemon
    Microsoft Clip Gallery
    Microsoft Cert Manager.app
    Database Utility
    Remote Desktop Connection

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Finally. That was one of the most annoying features of Office X (and I guess Office 2004, until today).

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

For all those sitting on the fence, I've just downloaded the update and everything still seems to be in working order.

7. kjgnola macrumors regular

It is up on AutoUpdate now. At least for me it was.

8. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Another disappointing MS Service Pack...

I was really hoping this would fix some of the really annoying bugs in Entourage, like using Links. I loved the way Entourage X handled links - it opened a window with the view you wanted (for example, it would open a real Calendar view), and you just dropped links in the little window. When you link to something in Entourage 2004, it gives you a list - and the Calendar list can't even be sorted! Grrr...

And someone on the Entourage newsgroup suggested to use the "Tools:Open Links" menu command to create links. A cumbersome workaround, at best...

Does anyone else who used links find this bug in 2004 annoying as all get out?

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

if anyone is interested, there is also a new update for office v.X. it is 30some mg and appears to sort out lots of stability issues. good good. no more word crashes i hope!

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

oh there is also a new msn messenger (version 4.0.1). maybe they will have sorted the disconnection issues that i keep having.

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Use ADIUM... Yahho, MSN, ICQ, & more at the same time...

12. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well I just loaded the update and I am getting a weird error message every time I quit Excel.

I can open spreadsheets fine, I can work in them fine and I can save them no problem.

However, when I choose QUIT the following error message appears:

"Compile error in hidden module: AutoExec"

Anyone else getting this?

Its not critical as work is saved but its a pain being reminded of the type of screwy error messages I used to get in my PC days....

Vanilla

13. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

just updated...no problems so far in updating or w/ program stability. finally removing that darned bouncing entourage icon is alone worth the upgade.

vanilla: havent been getting any sort of error msgs...sorry i cant be of more help.

14. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Ahh well, thanks for checking it out. I've fired off an email to Microsoft support which apparantly they promise to respond to within one business day so I'll see what they say.

Failing that I guess I could remove the software, reinstall it and then reload the update. With that in mind do you (or anyone) know if its as simple as putting the Microsoft Office folder in the Applications area into Trash to remove Office completely, or do I need also to look at cleaning other areas, such as preferences?

cheers
    Vanilla

15. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Ongoing or recent connection issues? MSN is getting hammered by a worm these days.

It must be soo fun to use Windows! I'm really looking forward to the day when my Mac can be 100% Microsoft-free. If only there were a non-sucky Office substitute.

16. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Same here. Programs are still running fast and stable. I didn't know about the Entourage change (didn't really pay much attention to the release notes), but I'm very glad that has been implemented. That has bugged the heck out of me since they introduced Entourage. Even in Office 2001 it would require your attention upon a connection error.

17. buckuxc macrumors regular

help, bug

Hi all,

Having just installed Office 2004 last night, the update was already added. However, I seem to have some sort of bug with the Project Center. It asked me if I would like an alias folder on my desktop the project I created. In it are the documents, 3 xls and 1 doc, that are so far associated with this project. But when I double clicked each of them I was told that the specific file wasn't located on this volume (my internal hard drive in this case). The computer is of course wrong in this respect because the files are there. A quick look at the info on each file has each alias pointing to the right place, but it didn't matter. For the 3 xls files, when I press select new original in the info pain the alias is corrected. That didn't work for the 1 doc file. When I did that, it opened in Text Editor. I had to open Word, open the file from there and then when I closed the original file and tried the alias again it worked.

Anyone know what's up with this?

sps

18. Gambuchi macrumors member

Office X

A link to that update would be nice :eek:

19. Gambuchi macrumors member

Office substitute...

Try "openoffice" very nice and almost a clone of MS office.

20. damson34 macrumors 6502

Has the MSN Messenger update showed up in Microsoft Auto Update for anyone or is that only office applications?

21. russed macrumors 68000

russed

sorry about that!
    here you go

it all seems to be going ok for me so far

22. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

For anyone that is getting the "Compile error in hidden module: Autoexec"
    error when quitting Excel, I have received the following from Microsoft support:

"I understand that you get the following message:

"Compile error in hidden module: Autoexec" when quitting Excel 2004. This issue occurs after you installing Office 2004 SP1. If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

Since we released Office 2004 SP1, we have received many same issues. This is an incompatibility between SP1 and Adobe Acrobat v 6.0 (same to 6.02).

Our develop team is working on this issue.

Currently, the workaround is: taking off PDFmaker.xla from Microsoft Office 2004:Office:StartUP:Excel folder.

Let me know if it helps. If you encounter any difficulties or have any concerns, feel free to let me know.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that our products have caused you. If I have any more information, I will inform you as soon as possible."

So I removed the offending PDFmaker.xla and it did indeed clear the error message.

cheers
    Vanilla

23. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Allegedly so, but not really. I've found about seven Mac programs that claim to offer some to all of the functionality of MS Office, but none provide solid file-compatibility. For an office environment where we already have some Mac-to-PC translation issues, I can't burden my users with MSOffice-to-other translation as well. At least not until someone comes up with better file compatibility.

See the thread here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=19770&page=3&pp=25

These are the packages I'm talking about:

http://www.openoffice.org/
    http://openosx.com/office/
    http://www.thinkfree.com/
    http://marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=20
    http://www.comgrafix.com/ragtime_5.html
    http://www.apple.com/appleworks/
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/ (TextEdit)

I always encourage others to use 'em in the hopes that they'll gain momentum, but they're not yet good enough to replace MS Office in a mid-sized business. Dangnabbit.

24. ichiroboston macrumors newbie

damn, I hoped this fixed my problem but nope..

1st I have the volume licencing media kit (no key code)

When a Mac logs into a Network Home folder (os x server) Word,Excel and PowerPoint will give me "File is open in another location" Error every time I open or save a file.
    The only solution I found, Have the computer log into a local home folder... which defeats the use of having Network Home Folders.... :mad:

Anyone?