Services Menu? any good? :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ump3, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ump3 macrumors member

Jul 4, 2003
    I'd be very interested to know if anyone actually uses the 'Services' menu and could sing its praises (if it deserved any). It looks like it could be promising, then most of the time everything is greyed out. I forget its there most of the time as my brain tends to only use the features that were in OS9 :)

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think the Services menu would be vastly better if it were available via right-click on an item.
  3. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    I think the greyed out problem is a big one in the overal GUI system we're working in. I agree that 70% of the Services manu seems to be greyed out the vast majority of the time, and I have no idea why. Even things that should *always* be available, like grab screen, are grey. My proposed solution is that greyed out items have some way (tooltipsesque, or selecting them while holding down control, or what have you) to inform the user how to degray them (or under what circumstances they are greyed or degreyed). Thoughts?

On a side note, grey or gray?
  4. slb macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    New Mexico
    I forgot it was there until I discovered it. It's fun to make almost any application speak its text to you. :)

Now I always check it to see what's there. You can do spell-checking and other things from it as well.

Select some text in Safari right now. Now hit Shift+Cmd+L. It's a hotkey for an item in the Services menu that searches Google for whatever text you currently have selected. Great stuff.

I have Acquisition installed, and I notice you can even search Acquisition for text you have selected. That's awesome.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Here here, there are too many strange instances where things are greyed out for no reason. Like the Mail to service is greyed out in most places unless you select. But then once you select, it has strange behavior. Like in Preview, if you do not select anything, you cannot use this feature. If you Select All, the feature becomes solid, but it doesn't do anything. It's too sad. :('s strange that my spell checker knows grey and gray, and grayed, but not greyed....
  6. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 4, 2003

Cool, but it doesn't work in FireFox :(