Set 2nd wireless router to receive signal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acedickson, Jul 7, 2005.

1. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Ok, I managed to come into a second WRT54G. I have a 2nd computer in another room I'm like to wirelessly connect to the net. It doesn't have a wireless card.

How can I use the 2nd router to receive signal? Would I then be able to connect the second computer via ethernet and share my wireless signal?

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

What you need for this is 3rd party firmware, to enable WDS support. I cant remember the name of the exact firmware but its one of the most popular ones.

There should be plenty of information about setting this up from google. Sorry I cant be more helpful - I've only got 1 WRT54G and a WRE54G!

3. acedickson thread starter macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I loaded the Sveasoft Alchemy firmware on my router. I disabled automatic DHCP and turned on WDS. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find my signal.

Is there a way to make airport recognize the router so I can try using a program like Air Traffic Control?

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I cant offer much assistance as I'm still a newbie to Wireless, but I'll give it a shot.

Hang on, I just found this page from google.. looks like its step by step instructions of setting what you want up.

Hope that works for you. BTW you may want to download a copy of KisMac which is a signal stumbler - it'll show you ALL of the WiFi signals around you. Useful for setting a unique channel on your router, in addition to more devious things :cool: