Set iPhoto To Monitor Folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lukeowen, Dec 18, 2006.

1. lukeowen macrumors member

Hey All
    I was just wondering if there was a way for iPhoto to monitor folders for new images and to have it automatically import those new images into the iPhoto Library simular to what Picasa on Windows does. Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luke

2. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

i asked this before but people here recommended me to forget about folders and import every new photo to iphoto and then manage them by iphoto folders. it costed me a little but now it's fine.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This can be done fairly easily using Automator:

Open Automator
    Find the action "Import images into iPhoto" and drag it to the right side.
    Specify the options as you please (e.g. whether you wish for the image to be placed in a selected / new album, wish to be given the option at the time you drop the image, etc, and whether you wish for the file to be deleted from the drop folder or not).
    Choose file -> Save as plug-in
    Give it a name, select the plug-in type as folder action, check the enable folder actions button, and then select the folder you want to have this action.

Save it and then you can quit Automator. That's it. :) Any file dropped in the folder will be imported into iPhoto.

This is slightly different from what the previous poster was saying... this will copy the photo into the iPhoto library. This is the best way of doing things with iPhoto... you should let it manage the library and you can always pull files from it if you need/want to.