Set my Pismo on Fire. Help.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lincolnmkv, Dec 4, 2004.

1. lincolnmkv macrumors newbie

The case of the LCD screen of my Pismo somehow encountered a badly placed candle. The candle melted the plastic and I was able to see the glowing LCD screen through the back of the computer. Fascinating, and it still functioned otherwise. I sensed impending doom, however, and took a few important files and put them on my iPod. However, when I turned off the computer, and tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't start up. The screen remained dark, and judging from the sound of the harddrive, it sounded like it had gotten to a point where it couldn't find the startup disk. When I put a CD in the drive, it spun up, but then spun down.

I replaced the LCD and case today, but the problem persists. I did NOT replace the display inverter. Could the inverter somehow have become damaged by the screen possibly shorting out? And could this damage be preventing the computer from starting up? I notice now that the green power indicator does not function, and i think that is located on the inverter board. However, is this causing the computer to go into loop and not start up?

Sorry for the length, but I am pulling my hair out about this.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The inverter could very likely be the culprit here. It could also be the display cable.

3. lincolnmkv thread starter macrumors newbie

still dead

I just replaced the inverter board. Nothing. Computer will not start up. Hard drive spins but doesn't boot. What should I do next???

Thanks

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

This is a new problem...hehe.

Can you start into FireWire target disk mode, or Single-User mode?
    (hold T on startup, or hold Command+S on startup)

Does the screen display anything at all?

Can you start off of some kind of Tech Tools hardware test disk and run everything on it to see what passes/fails?

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

You should just buy a PC laptop. It wouldn't be damaged because it's used to being set on fire.

Steve

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I was going to call you a troll there... but...

...then I finished reading your post.

LOL! :cool:

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

:(

;)

8. lincolnmkv thread starter macrumors newbie

Posting from a Dell

No need to buy a PC; I'm on one right now... and it sucks.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hehe... did you try my suggestions?

And all PCs aren't bad. Look at...uhm...This and This if you really want to get into it....

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Time for a new Mac, or I can sell you mine. :)

Remove the HDD and put it into another Mac Notebook and try to recover the files off that or get an external FW enclosure.