Set-top HDTV tuner with computer monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alex_ant, Aug 2, 2005.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

OK, football season is coming soon and I can't wait anymore for HDTV. I've looked at the EyeTV 500, but my Mac is way too slow. I would like to spend as little money as possible. I have a Dell 1704FPT which is 1280x1024 and has HD15 and DVI inputs. The HD15 is being used by my TiBook. I also have a 13" standard television that has component video inputs, which I understand will be nowhere near HDTV quality, but at least it's better than NTSC, and I will use this as a last resort. Getting HDTV onto the Dell is obviously preferred.

Can I use just any tuner that has a component video output, and get a cheap component-to-HD15 adapter and expect it to work plugged into the 1704FPT? Or do I need a much more expensive format converter of some kind, like this one? http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/kd-ctca2.htm

Otherwise, I've found two tuners so far that have RGB HD15 outputs:

Samsung SIR-T150 (web page gone)
    Humax HFA100 (http://www.humaxusa.com/products_HFA100.html)

Can I connect a tuner that has an RGB HD15 output, like either of these, to the HD15 input of my 1704FPT? If so, what will I then do about the TiBook? Get a HD15-DVI converter? Get a VGA switcher? If I can indeed connect these HDTV tuners to my monitor, will 16:9 programs display properly (e.g. with proper black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, no funny effects or discoloration etc.?)

2. lfielder06 Guest

This seems like what you might be looking for. I have one and it works great. It comes with xbox hdtv hook up, but works for any hd source. I have used it on 17" crt monitor and have no complaints. Works great with my xbox. It looks similiar to your first link, but is only $73 after shipping.

I have used this for 1080i and 720p and it looks great on a crt. It stretches it to full screen and widescreen displays properly. It also has a place to plug you computer in and a switch to switch between hd source and vga.

3. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Excellent, just what I was looking for. Thanks!