Set up push email on the iPhone with any email address

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 9, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Or you could save the $119 a year and get a free Yahoo address. Is Yahoo still the only other email with Push for the Iphone?

3. macrumors member

False advertising

As the article says, this doesn't work with any e-mail address. It works only with e-mail addresses that allow you to forward received e-mails to another address.

4. macrumors 6502

Yahoo and gmail both offer push email on the iPhone.

For those that don't know this, all you have to do is set up your gmail or yahoo account, go into [settings->fetch new data->advanced->my gmail/yahoo account] and turn it to "fetch". Then, go back to the "fetch new data" menu off the settings menu, turn "push" on, and choose to fetch email hourly

5. macrumors regular

MDiddy

Is that true? I was under the understanding that Gmail introduced IMAP access a while back, but I hadn't heard about push.

6. macrumors 6502

yes, gmail has push. I wouldn't live without it :)

7. macrumors 68020

i tried this and surprisingly it worked on my first email test. i then sent another test email but it did not pick up up. how long does it usually take to "push" to the phone? thanks!

8. 123
    macrumors 6502

Wtf?

Who approved this crap? So, emails can be forwarded to me.com in order to use push? Wow, who would have thought!!

What a waste of time.

9. macrumors 6502

why is it that both my yahoo and sbcglobal accounts offer 'push' as an option under fetch new data, but gmail does not? it offers 'fetch' and 'manual' only???

10. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Because GMail doesn't offer push, only IMAP. GMail is only push on Andriod devices.

11. macrumors 6502

WRONG, read my earlier posts.

@penguy: for gmail choose "fetch" in that menu for gmail push

12. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

uhh, fetch isn't the same thing as push

13. macrumors 6502

I know that, but in order for push to be activated in gmail you have to select fetch over manual email retrieve.

14. macrumors 6502a

That doesn't activate Push. It just tells your iPhone to check your Gmail every 15 minutes (or longer, depending on how you set it) to see if there's any new mail.

For me, that's fine. I can wait 15 minutes to see if I have new email. But if Gmail does bring push to the iPhone (and I expect they will at some point) that will be even better.

15. macrumors 6502

I did a simple test to my three accounts and the two push accounts recei bed the email in 3 and 5 seconds. Gmail didn't get it until I accessed the account.

16. macrumors 6502

gmail DOES have push!!!
    I've been using it for about a month now! It works great!

17. macrumors 6502

not trying to argue, but if it is push, it does NOT perform like yahoo/att accounts do. The expectations from others (e.g. Blackberry users) is near instantaneous email notification, so far, at least for me, the gmail account does not come close, but as I stated earlier, both my yahoo and sbc/ATT account are immediate.

18. macrumors 6502

well I don't have an account with them, I'll have to try it

19. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

20. macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

if gmail has push, can someone explain how to set it up? cause i sure can't find it...

21. macrumors 6502

check out my first post on this thread

22. macrumors member

gmail push?

Following the instructions at the top of this thread, gmail does NOT push email to the iphone. You must access the account to receive new mail.

For that matter, yahoo has stopped pushing email to my phone as well, so who knows?

23. macrumors regular

Eric Noa

24. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I thought this was a misinterpretation of a bug in the iPhone 2.1 update that make Mail check for emails in very short intervals and everyone jumped up and down celebrating because it seemed like Gmail was providing push.