set-up recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lonerangerradio, Mar 31, 2005.

1. lonerangerradio macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2005
    I'm relatively new to garageband and home-recording in general, but I'm intensely interested in it. I'm posting this to ask those of who have more expertise in this area about what essentials would I need to record a live band ie. live drums, miked amplifiers and what have you. I'm looking for some kind of a list like kinds of microphones and the number I would need, what kind of mixer and possibly a suggestion for a good model, same thing for pre-amps and other hardware, software or add-ons that are important to producing something pretty decent. Thanks for any help and I am greatly appreciative.

Right now, I only have the first version of Garageband, and my computer is a PowerBookG4 with a condenser mic and a 1/8 inch line-in. I have a 867Mhz processor and I'm not even sure if I do have a sound card, but I run my speakers through the headphone input, then into a splitter that goes into a creative 4.1, five-speaker sound system, but I'm pretty sure it's not stereo sound. I do have one mic already that is a Shure BG 2.1.
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    One question... how much money are you looking to spend, roughly?
  3. lonerangerradio thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2005
    Well, I would like to stress that what I want would be the essentials and that's it. Also, like I said, I don't know too much about recording equipment in general and, as a result, don't know the cost of it all that much, but I don't want anything high-end. I would be shooting for the middle of the road and down if it can be managed. I'm aware that it will be expensive anyway, but I'm not going to spend tens of thousands of dollars.