Seti crunching on PB - heat solution

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by joecool85, Mar 15, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, as I posted earlier I have been running Seti on my PB however it will stay at around 140 F CPU temp if I leave it running for more than 15-20 min...not good. Well, I put the processor on "reduced" and now it stays at 128.8 F, had it running for 3 hours like that steady. The cooling fan is still on steady, but not at high speed. I think that a cooling pad with twin fans might get me down below 125 F CPU temp (where the fans kick on). btw, right now I have a targus Cool Pad that basically keeps it 1/2 inch off the table.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Sorry about that, next time I will.

I also have noticed it doesn't seem to matter if I have the lid open or closed...someone had said they cool through the keyboard also, but I think that its just iBooks that do that.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sorry for my bitchy post above. But was called away, so couldn't really finish my post. Leaving the lid closed isolates the computer a bit, so heat is gonna stay longer in the machine, leaving it open, more air can flow throw it. You'll probably won't notice it temparature-wise, but it helps. Be sure to get a coolingpad if you are planning to run 24/7.

5. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

yeah, i really don't think i will ever have it run 24/7...i think its just too much for a laptop. however, it would be nice to run it for more than a few hours at a time. at least now i can keep it to where the fan is on but at slow speed lol. on 100% processor this things heats to 140F and the fan stays on FULL.

**edit**

btw, its ok about the bitchy post, i've been bothered by newbs on the other boards i frequent when i am a mod/frequent user. lol, i knew better.

and also, i do plan on getting some type of powered cooling pad.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

FWIW, I ran Folding overnight on my 1.33 PowerBook and the temp was over 145°F. I bought one of these and it dropped the temp to 115°. It can run off your USB, or you can use the included AC brick. It also has a 4-port USB hub built in, which only works when you are plugged into the wall outlet. The dual variable-speed fans are great. I don't even think about overheating, and my PB fan never comes on.

7. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

that seems like a HUGE temp drop, although that is the most wattage draw @10watts for any of the ones I have looked at getting...and I do like that it has 4 usb ports on the back because right now I have a 4 port non powered mini usb hub just hanging out on my desk and I don't really like that too much.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I bought the fan setup powermac666 talked about. I love it. It brings my temp down from 135-140 to 126-127 on highest processor setting and from 128-130 to 115-117 on reduced. So on reduced with the fans going it keeps the internal fan from staying on all the time. It will come one every half hour or so for a few seconds then kick back off. I'm happy with it.