Seti@Home Finds Aliens!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by keysersoze, Sep 2, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Man, and my wife said running SETI was a waste of time!

I am assuming that by "advertise" they are saying "accidentally make known." I thought we advertised our presence by leaking radio and TV signals, not by intentionally broadcasting something. And even if we do that now, wouldn't someone else first pick up the older signals?

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool if true...like they said, it needs further study, but if its a recurring signal and it doesn't turn out to be a natural phenomena, all I can say is wow.

I want to know more about it , though....how far is the signal travelling?

And how much of a wrench would this throw into our civilization....:D

D

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if it a signal was broadcast at a frequency that's equal to energy/photons emitted by hydrogen, then wouldn't any photons emitted by Hydrogen get picked up? Wouldn't nearly all thermal neutron based reactions lead to a photon being emitted at that frequency that was broadcast? Could that be the cause?

I just don't get these frequencies. Ultimately, any signal broadcast at a high frequency in the x-ray band is pretty much a photon, right?

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, could they be a bit more vague? Why isn't it a candidate? A few more specifics on why it originally was looked at would have been nice. All they've done by this type of denial is feed the conspiracy theorists :D

Too bad, it would have been interesting...

D

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

the thing is i have read a couple more articles and they say that they are following it up,
    if it is realy i doubt we will ever find out anything half good

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Something tells me we won't find out the truth until December 2012. At least, that's when all the conspiracy theorists believe one of the following will happen:

* The end of the world in the most biblical sense (oops, better start redeeming myself now).
    * The alien invasion will begin.
    * Aliens will make first contact and transform humanity into a new species.
    * Absolutely nothing.

My vote is for absolutely nothing, but I'm really hoping for first contact before I die. I mean, it would be great to actually have periodic open contact with an alien race instead of just being picked up and experimented on every once in a while. ;)

Seriously though, this article really got my hopes up. We can't be alone, it just doesn't seem possible. :p

9. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

10. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I've always thought that around the "watering hole" is a bad place to look. There is too much background noise. Yes in some ways its a good place to look because its common everywhere (assuming the speed of light and other physical values are constant.) There is just too much cruft to be usable to communicate. If the Arecibo dish were to be used to broadcast how far would a signal go before being swamped by noise? Can we expect aliens to be bored enough to build a dish even that big, much less bigger?

I would say look for signals where we are sending out the most. Much lower in the spectrum. Around 60Hz or so. Maybe down to 30 and up to 300.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I always look at it like that thing where if you travel half the distance from point A to point B, then cut that distance in half, then THAT distance in half, etc. you'll never get to point B.

We've been, by all accounts, heading towards hell in a handbasket since the dawn of recorded time, yet we never do seem to get there, do we?

As for aliens: I agree with some scientists that it's statistically unlikely that we're alone in the universe, but that doesn't guarantee that such intelligent life would be close enough to contact us, that we would understand it when it did, or that it wouldn't just be another resource-grubbing species like us.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But it would be cool if we could talk with them. The only thing is that it would take decades or more to hold a conversation, depending on how far they were from us.

Maybe these transmissions are the aliens' version of the I Love Lucy Show.....:D

D

13. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

They can't fool me! Hmmmph! Surrrrrre they deny the alien signal. the Men In Black* probably told the scientists to keep quiet and deny the alien contact. Crap! Gotta run...there's a black helicopter hovering outside my window! ;) ;) ;) ;)

*The real MIB, not the movie guys. Look here and scroll all the way to the bottom for MIB articles. You can form your own opinions, but the stories of "the real" MIBs are damned creepy. :eek:

14. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

unfortunately (i think?) it is all to possible... although there is a good chance that there will be life of some kind somewhere else in the universe (or one of the, depends how you look at it) there are so many stories and theories that i have heard of the years... its makes whats "possible" hard to define
    and even if you prove something wrong someone will just turn around and say "well there might be a technology we dont know of yet" and you cant argue with that ( although i know a wendingo that could ;) )

the bottom line is..... what YOU belive...

if aliens were to make contact then it would have a huge effect on things - mainly religions, it would give some hope but take others hope away
    mostly we dont want to feel alone...

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Too bad they didn't find any. Of course, those scientists could be angry because they didn't discover anything. They could come to Floriduh, we have plenty of aliens here. :D

I really wonder if the equipment is good enough to discriminate between an actual signal and background noise.

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Same here.
    I believe we are quite alone. Not because of any religious reasons, not at all. We are just... alone.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think we should start sending out our own hydrogen frequency signals. :)

18. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

That's what the last 14 civilisations that got 'assimilated' said. ;)

Plus it takes billions of watts to put out a decent signal by radio that will reach more than a few hundred light years.

So E.T is hard to call, but we'd better think twice before we do, because, faster than light travel aside, any really efficient super civilisation that was galactically dispersed enough to actually get here at sublight speeds would probably be a really resource hungry self-replicating machine species with no lifespan issues. i.e some flavour of the Borg.

In scifi terms this is known as a hegemonising swarm.

19. Dros macrumors 6502

But what resources will they be hungry for? Metals and such would be more plentiful in asteroid belts, so no need to look around for civilizations to strip clean. Any civilization advanced enough to get here won't be limited to earth-like planets for its needs.

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, there's human flesh, lots of salt water, and a planet capable of hosting organic life...

Maybe the Government silenced the scientists because they actually stumbled upon a secret code that they're using to communicate with extraterrestrial life...

If we emit any signals into space, it should say "STAY AWAY! PLANET IS DANGEROUS, YOU WILL BE DESTROYED", just to keep any alien invaders away... I mean, saying "come in peace" is nice and all, but those are words hostile alien races would love to hear, I imagine... We don't want to advertise our weak interplanetary defense system... We must wait for the IPBM's...

Now that I'm done with my conspiracy theory...

Uhm, yeah, aliens...

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You've all been watching too much Trek and SciFi channel. Who's to say they aren't already here, or that they're friendly.

For all we know the whole planet is a giant petri dish experiment being used by super intelligent mice to find out the meaning of life.....

D :p

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i contribnuted about 1k or work units ot seti and got bored hehe good luck to them but im not holding my breath

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    We can take the Kzin.

So this is like the early early days of radio where everyone had a little crystal set and the really cool kids hacked together a tiny little AM transmitter?

Bring their punk butts on. We'll install windows XP, promise them longhorn and then give them SP2.

24. dxp4acu macrumors regular

I honestly don't see what it would do to religions. It just means there is a God big enough to create the whole universe, not just our tiny Earth. That much we already knew. Just look up at a bright, star-studded night sky sometime.