seti@home milestone

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chibianh, Apr 30, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

The project is about to receive its 500 millionth data unit within the next couple of days.. who knows, I might be the lucky one! Now if only my AMDK6-2 can crunch out just one more data unit before than, I'll have even a greater chance! btw, it takes a freakin 55 hours to process one data unit.. ridiculous or what? lol

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Seti@home?

What is this? I have heard of it, but I have no knowledge of it.

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

for more info see setiathome.berkeley.edu

i finally got dual command line clients running on my PC, and now it's pumping out _2_ units ever 4 to 4.5 hours :D

combined with my dual 500 G4, I've done 35+ units in the past 2 days or so, which is like a unit every 1.5 hours or so :D

I bet it will prolly be somebody from Europe though....

4. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

SETI@home

SETI=Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence.

The folks at SETI search the skies for any sign of extraterrestrial life. They scan the sky for any possible signal emanating from anywhere. The sky is big, though, and they have to check a vast spectrum to make sure they don't miss anything. This takes time. Lots and lots of time and computing power. So, they started looking for computing power.

Someone very smart came up with the idea of allowing packets of the data they have collected to be analyzed on people's home PC's. By sharing the workload, they are able to search more, faster. Even better, you can either set it to run actively or set it as a screen saver so that it only takes up computing power no one is using anyway.

People download the software and then (most of the time) forget about it (if they have a permanent connection to the internet). The software downloads new packets when needed and sends them back to SETI when completed.

That's it in a nutshell.

For more, here is their home page. Here is their FAQ.

Chris

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

SETI

I remember now. Its those people that search for life with the HUGE satellites.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: SETI

That would be Radio Telescopes, not satellites. Its all ground based.

The big dish is in Arecibo (sp?) in Puerto Rico. It was also used in one of the more recent James Bond movies and in Contact.