SETI stats

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by iPC, Sep 25, 2003.

1. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I once was a SETI user...

I like the graphics run... but then I found something that had a more earth based goal, to help people...

BTW, when I click the link I get a web stats error... :eek:

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

please dont take this as an insult but why would any advance civilization resort to something as slow as the speed of light or slightly less communication when to transverse the cosmo's you need faster then light and probably communications to go with it. I think any advance civilization will be using something much more advanced then radio waves slowly propegating through space. ever wonder why all those aliens are telepaths?

4. KCK macrumors regular

Still running SETI her up to 1580 after starting last year.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

6. bryanc macrumors 6502

I've got a 5000 unit certificate of appreciation. However, I stopped really following SaH a couple of years ago. Now, I can't reactivate my account, because the email address it points to is no longer active and I've forgotten the password :-(

Cheers

7. bryanc macrumors 6502

A friend of mine has been running the SaH client on an old beige G3 (under OS X), and getting about 23h/workunit. He just set up his new 1.8 Ghz G5 and it's cranking out workunits in about 1.3 hours!

Anyone else have workunit completion times for G5s?

Cheers

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:eek:

1.3 Hours!

Sweet Lord!

:eek:

:points to signature for folding:

9. KCK macrumors regular

Well i joined another team before I started hanging around here. Maybe when Boinc gets going I'll switch to another team.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

do you guys know how long it takes a radio wave to get to mars let alone the distance between stars? They will be way more advanced then us and wont be using some old radio wave that takes forever to go anywhere.

11. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

well, sure, but assuming there is an advanced civilization out there, its not an unreasonable assumption that they at one point used radio as a form of communication, even if only as planetary communication, as we do. they could be leaking EM radiation into space, much like earth. detecting that (while the signal would be hundreds to hundreds of thousands of years old) would certainly be possible. and it takes approximately 5 minutes for a radio signal to reach mars from earth :p

12. KCK macrumors regular

An advanced race might also manipulate objects like gas clouds in order to send radio type signals long distances. Remember all races will probably follow a similar developmental path so using less advanced radio type communications might be used as a way to contact less advanced life forms in the universe.

An advanced form of communication doesn't do you any good it if the other party you want to talk to doesn't have the same method of communicating.

13. iPC thread starter macrumors 6502

iPC

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

An hour for a WU, that's insane. It took me around 40 hours to do one with my PowerBook G3 and gave up because it slowed it down so much that I couldn't even type a paper when it was running.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When I got my dual 1.25GHz MDD Power Mac G4 last year, I used SETI@home as a benchmark tool. I tried both the GUI and command-line versions and tried running one, two, or three copies at once. I was surprised, until I thought about it in hindsight, to find that the screensaver version ran as fast as the command-line version, because the CPU wasn't working to do the screen drawing anyway. As expected, I found that I could run two copies at once on my two processors at the same speed as one copy, but three copies gave no throughput benefit. The speed result: 1 unit every 6 hours for each CPU, making an overall rate of 1 unit every 3 hours.

I also used SETI to learn more about scripting. I analyzed the files read from and written to by SETI as it runs, and wrote a shell script that could tell me what state each process was in, i.e., what percentage done it was or whether it was gathering new data or returning finished data.