SETI - Why?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, May 31, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Why are the following people not processing?

69) keks25  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Germany
    70) mac15  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Australia
    71) Joe le Boss  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown France
    72) icetraxx  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown United States
    73) irmongoose 0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Japan
    74) whfsdude  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown United States
    75) lucs  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown United States
    76) wjdennen  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown United States
    77) foniksonik  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown United States
    78) ear2ear  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Canada
    79) Macette  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Australia
    80) tiauguinho  0 0 hr 00 min   Unknown Portugal

On a separate note. Arn, when will we get a link on the home page to a place that tells us general info such as Rank, whether we are climbing etc? Maybe a joint page for SETI and Folding??

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Possibly they just joined and they are still working on a unit. It takes me about 3-4 days for a unit (12 hours a unit) you have to have some time to set it up. THe prob is my mom puts the computer to sleep so the program doe not kick in.

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I think most of them have joined some time ago (week or so) but have not processed any.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

So just tell her that you're trying to look for your brother, and the computer needs to stay on ;) :D

Perhaps most of the people listed signed up, then heard of Folding and thought it was more useful, and switched to that?

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My mon knows what it is doing, I will just polietly tell her to not put it to sleep. I finish my 3rd unit yester dya and I am 15% through the 4th.

6. ear2ear macrumors member

I'm at 74.685%

I'm actually running this on an older 333mhz Pentium II that only gets fired up for internet use. My macs are dedicated to work-related tasks (audio recording).

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: SETI - Why?

Falleron - MacRumors Seti Police.....

I'll wager you don't see half of those even get 1 unit done - they're just the sheep following along for the ride, the newest thing, but not really interested in doing anything. It happens all the time.

Good for you for pushing though, it'll be fun to see who jumps up and starts pushing units. Post this same list above in a week and see if anythings changed.

8. j763 macrumors 6502a

all the sheep in the world's packets add up so their contribution is good for seti...

(btw, i've only done 2 seti -- i was waiting for an MR folding team...)

9. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys, been too busy with carracho and not much speed I also lost my hd I will start later today :(

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Not to be a spoil sport...

...but I heard a while back that the SETI team had run out of work units to process so they were recycling work units and doing each unit more than once. Can anyone confirm this??

I've stopped using SETI and am setting up Folding@Home on my computers. I'd like to do something with my computing power that has some benefit to humanity--thats not just an experiment in distributed computing.

Taft

11. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

They do send out the same units to a few people (never ran out though - think they are backlogged about 6 months). This makes sure that get the result back off someone. It also allows them to check that people are processing the units fairly and not cheating I think. They have also just got a new server which should make getting new data easier.

On my machine I am running folding as well. However, I think I might leave that soon because it takes an age to complete the units!

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I downloaded Folding and it was way, way slow on both my iMac, and my iBook. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed it up? Please let me know, because I would love to do my part.

I like SETI, but if they are recycling units, then no, I don't want to take my time.

13. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

They dont send them out repeated that much. I think every unit is sent out twice. This is done as I said to make sure that they get everything processed and dont have gaps. They probably do the same on Folding!

14. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Do they still have information coming in from telescopes?? I heard that they weren't collecting data anymore and that was why they ran out of units.

I'm going to search around for some info on this.

Taft

15. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Yes, they have recently just got a new telescope to use as well. I think that they have only covered about 33% of the sky so far (if that).

16. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Here is a calendar that shows the operational days of the telescope that SETI uses. As the calendar shows, the telescope hasn't been operational since Aug 1st.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/calendar.html

HOWEVER, it does seem that not all of the work units have been processed yet. Most have been processed once, but around 25% haven't been completed yet. Some must be checked again for errors or fraud.

So it appears there is work yet to be done with SETI. I do feel that Folding@HOME has some pretty amazing potential for helping mankind, and I'll be donating my computing time to that project.

I think the project I'd most like to dedicate my time to is one that unfortunately hasn't been conceived yet. I think a group should get telescope time and dedicate it to looking for objects that have the potential for hitting earth. The project could use distributed computing to monitor space for deadly meteors and other objects. I feel that is a cause that is very worthy and should be pursued.

Who's with me?!?!?!?!?

Taft

17. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Been watching Deep Impact? Its a good idea for a project. You must be right then about the telescope not being active for a while. However, I swear they said they had just started using a new telescope. I think both project are good, thats why I run both.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I would love to see a program for users to help search for Comets and Asteroids. That would be something that could potentially save the entire planet. How cool would that be, yep, I found the planet killer on my new PowerMac G4!

:cool:

19. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I'm on that list.
    I nearly finished a unit but then I got into folding@home...
    When will there be a macrumors folding@home team?!
    DON'T EXPECT ANY PROGRESS FROM ME WITH SETI@HOME ANYMORE!

20. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Your prayers have been answered!!!

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4632

Taft

21. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502