Seti

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by MrMacMan, Jan 1, 2003.

1. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Is there some secret behind crunching units? I see people with 'Years' Of processor CPU time, sure some one you can use many computers but sheech.
    My question is there anyway to speed it up? I mean for some people it take 12-16 hours, mine too 18. Aw, it took very long on my 800 MHZ iMac, why?
    I know not all of you have insane 1.25 dual on you hands.
    BTW, during SETI being on for 18 hours the biggest processor related thing I did was lanch IE, so I know its not like I'm running WCIII, iTunes, IE and SETI all at the same time...
    any help?

2. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mmmmmm... interesting.... I do not know what you are talking about:confused: :D

3. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thanks for the help...
    *dies*

4. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Seti

Which OS are you using? OS9 or OSX?? If you are using OSX, you can use the Command line version which will knock about 2/3 hours off your processing times.

NB. My 1Ghz G4 will complete a unit in about 6 and a half hours (using the command line version)

5. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Seti

I tryied the command vesion one but I can't tell how far it is done and it just doesn't either word or work well, I know its no client, but really, I tried opening the stats info and it failed to load. eh...
    Tell me what I'm doing wrong..

6. macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Re: Re: Seti

Install the command line version + then go to: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Search For "SETICNTL". This will let you monitor the progress of your Command line version.

7. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I suspect that the people who have years of CPU time are those who have more than one computer at their disposal, e.g., a computer lab where all the machines work on SETI and credit their units to the same user name.

On a dual processor Power Mac, you can get the most bang for your buck by running two copies of the SETI command-line client at once. The dual processor 1.25GHz G4 can do two units at once in about 6 hours, meaning about 8 units every 24 hours.

8. thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ah... like you I presume? :D

9. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yup, that's the model I have and the results I get. I wrote my own half-baked shell script to monitor the processes as they run. If you don't use SETICNTL or a similar high-level program, you can use a simple grep command to find out the progress (e.g., 42.7985474%) of SETI running the CLI version because all of its status information is kept in readable text files and updated as SETI processes each unit.