setting priority for each application..

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Megaquad, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I have few apps that need lower/higher cpu time priorities,ok so how do i do that? any app for that or unix command?

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

so what your saying...

is that if you hit 100% CPU usage .. you want something to killother processes or .. reduse the amount of CPU time they get? ... you know I bet the over head to do that would not be worth the CPU time you might gain for one app. If your Hitting the 100% mark... and you have a fairly new CPU.. then your doing some real work...

I would just shut down processes that you dont need when your doing REAL work.

What kind of CPU intensive stuff are you doing? What kind of system do you have?

Take a look at the top command (terminal) and see what your doing.... post it here so some of us could take a look at what your doing.

# top

-evildead

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Like evil said, do a top command.

% top

This will list the top processes running (the process id is the left most column). If you want to boost a process in priority, do a renice on it and set it to a value below zero (-20 is the lowest and zero is the default setting of all processes). Like this:

% sudo renice -20 378

This would set the priority of process 378 to the highest priority. You need to do this as root (sudo).

To lower the priority, renice the process to a value higher than zero (again, twenty is the limit). Like this:

% renice 12 452

You do not need to be root to lower a priority. This set the priority of process 452 to the lower priority of 12.

Taft

4. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Taft you helped me
    Evildead, I have 350 mhz G3 and I sometime need some apps like Toast,QT,ffmpeg encoding or vlc to have higher priority because apps in background that i dont use wont bother me that much..