Setting range in Grapher

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by katie ta achoo, Aug 27, 2005.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

So, I'm doing a project using Grapher (link to description).

I'm being stupidly complicated (hopefully so that I get a 100!) and I'm making an Apple and probably a Steve Jobs or Alan Greenspan.

Soooo, I'm making it, bla bla bla, and I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SET THE RANGE OF AN EQUATION! It's killing me! Am I going to get the insane pleasure of.. HAND GRAPHING? (oh, the horror!)

Soo.. long post short: how do I set range? not being able to is making me feel really dumb.. like I need to go back to .. basic 2nd grade math or something.

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry Katie, this is beyond my limited expertise (not that I have any to begin with...). You might want to PM Doctor Q on this one, he seems to be very adept at such things, or even HexMonkey who always has a way of solving the hardest issues. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that your particular problem is very specialized, and requires input that only a few will be able to supply, and they may not bite on your thread. I'm sure there are others beyond the 2 I mentioned, but that is where I would start.

I read your link, and found the assignment to be intriguing.
    Glad I don't have the task myself!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It took me a while to find it, but you can limit the domain or range of an equation by using an equation in the format:

y = condition ? expression

For example, to draw y=x with the domain (-2, 2), the equation would be:

y = x>-2 & x<2 ? x

Or to draw y=x^2 - 1 with the range (0,5) the equation would be:

y = y>0 & y<5 ? x^2-1

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

See... I knew HexMonkey was the man for you!
    You da' man! You never cease to amaze me.

You don't always have to have the answers,
    you just need to know where to go to get the answers!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

!!!!!

I thank you, and MY GRADE THANKS YOU!

Since I'm not up to 15 equations yet, I'm going to get too complicated for my own good and write out "insanely great" in cursive next to it.

wooo wooo!!! :) :) :)

I just started finishing up my project, and GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY I WANT TO THANK YOU AGAIN! YOU ROCK. I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS FOR YOU.
    :p

If I have enough time/it looks good enough, I'll post a screenshot of it when I'm done.
    Eeeee!

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Thanks MacDawg! :)

Katie, I'm glad it worked. I looked forward to seeing the finished product.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wow, just wanted to say that looks like a really cool project based on the description!

8. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

Bam!

Take that, calculus project!! Muahaha!

holy googly, writing out "insanely great" will take a while...

oh well. I need to over-achieve. I want a 4.0! (only .08 more points.. come on, KT!)

:D :D

**I colored it in graphic converter, I don't think Grapher does coloring like that.

Attached Files:

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's awesome Katie!
    Great job! You and HexMonkey make a great team!

Good luck with your project!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I was wondering how to do a range, since I want to graph certain shapes using equations and the shapes need to be of definite sizes. Normally I'd use a floor() function to put the extraneous parts at 0 or a negative number far below the view window but I'm doing it in 3D and (as far as I know) 3D graphs are all connect type.

Great job!

I've considered the possibility of letters displayed with math equations, it would be quite hard for me although it depends on the font (straight lines or curves).

11. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Could somebody venture to set up a decent Grapher documentation project?

The program is incredible, the documentation virtually non-existent.
    I guess the math-heads can figure it out by themselves. But for us poor mortals that use math as a tool and not as a way of life, this would be immensely helpful....

12. JohnMC macrumors 6502

As a math minor and engineering major, could you please explain how math is not a way of life. You have insulted the math gods with that statement and are now cursed from derivatives through integrals. jk... sorry I could not resist.

13. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

yeah, I am deeply sorry, :) but for me it is always 'just a tool' that is oftentimes made difficult to use by the practitioners of the art.

I think mainly through their unwillingness to provide guidance how their precious secret can be applied to real world problems and their failure to communicate ideas other than through their own symbolic concepts.

Don't get me wrong. I like math, just not the way it is taught...