setting up 12" powerbook w/ Dell 20"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ekcurtis, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ekcurtis macrumors newbie

hi y'all,

i'm having trouble getting my 12" powerbook to display correctly on my 20" dell monitor. i've read that it can work, but i haven't read instructions on "how to". can anyone help me out with this, since i seem to be incapable! :p

all i'm able to do is either stretch the image or have black spaces on the sides (i guess not in widescreen mode)

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Are you trying to mirror your display (i.e. same thing on both screens) or extend your desktop (different stuff on each)?

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

In the Display pane of the System Preferences there should be a list of resolutions, select from that list 1680x1050 - that is the native resolution of the 20" Dell screen.

Have you tried pressing F7 to switch between mirrored and extended mode?

How is it plugged in? Via DVI or VGA? You should have it plugged in with DVI.

What type of 12" PowerBook is it? Is it one of the very early ones with VGA out or one of the newer ones with DVI out and 64MB graphics?

4. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

it works im doing the exact same thing now.

All you have to do is plug in the DVI, switch the screen across to dvi input, then go 'detect displays' in the display menu. then it should list the different res's as chundles just said which pb do you have coz i have a rev d with the 64mb

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

It certainly sounds like you're using mirrored mode. You want extended desktop mode. As mentioned, use F7 to quickly change between the two.

6. ekcurtis thread starter macrumors newbie

right now, i'd settle for either mode! but i'd like the dual display btw the pb and dell monitors...i'll try your suggestions, thank you so much!