Setting up a basic office network

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dapperad, Dec 6, 2005.

1. dapperad macrumors newbie

Hello all:

I'm overhauling my office machines and network. We do graphic design and marketing. For four of us, am purchasing 3 Powermac G5s, 1 Powerbook G4, and will set up a central server that we will all work from. We'll be setting up a wireless connection in our new office.

Re: the server . . . what are the crucial things to consider? Do I have to buy another G5 or can an older iMac G4 do the trick? I guess what I'm asking is, is it more the processor speed of the server or the speed of the wireless connection that will limit me?

I've set up a system like this before but we went over gigabit ethernet. Don't know much about wireless yet. Is it just as fast?

Thanks for your comments --

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The limit will definately be the wireless connection. If you can, and when you use a lot of datatransfer, invest in a gigabit network. All your machines have gigabit ethernet. I know, it's not as beautifull and cool as wireless, but it is much faster and more functional. If it's a new building, or a empty room that still has to be setup/decorated, pull the networkcables through the wall with your electricity sockets. Offcourse you can also connect an Airport to the network for laptops, that's always usefull. As for the server, a G4 will do nicely, but max it out with Ram and enough storage space. Don't forget to make a backup, at least once a week.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

With only four machines, I'm certain an iMac G4 will be more than adequate as a file server (unless you're transfering really big files often, requiring gigabit ethernet). In this case, OS X Panther or Tiger client would work well.

In your situation, I would use an 802.11g wireless router connected to your internet connection (for use with your G5s and PowerBook), and hard-wire the iMac into the router. That way, you'll have maximum available bandwidth running between your router and the iMac (100 Mb/sec)

If you want gigabit ethernet running to your file server, you'll need to find something better than an imac G4. Gigabit ethernet runs at 1000 Mb/sec, while the iMac's ethernet runs at 100 Mb/sec.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That is about 125 MB per second (don't forget 8 bits are 1 Byte), so your wired network will go 125 MB per second, wireless will go a bit less then 8 MB per second (54Mb/8) and then it also has a lot of overhead, like encrypting and such, which is about 20% of the speed, so you have about roughly 6 MB per second with wireless :eek:

Also I wouldn't use an iMac for the server, It's limited with one (mostly small) harddrive and it only has 100 Mb ethernet, slowing down your network. Also getting a lot of datatransfer and thus heating up. I thought you mentioned a PM G4 for server, that would do nicely for a server. You can upgrade and expand it easily. Especially an old dual would do nicely.