Setting up a Function key to open mac mail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by selva, Feb 12, 2011.

1. selva, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

macrumors member

Jan 14, 2011
    Is there any way to set up a function key say F5 button on my MBA to open up Mac Mail?

F5 does not seem to be assigned to anything in default it seems.
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I think you would have to write/set up an applescript of some sort, if it is at all possible.

I am not familiar with that process so someone else might be better at assisting you.
  3. macrumors 6502

May 20, 2010
    Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts (click the +) and setup F5 for Mail.
  4. macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    not sure what your needs are...but another cool thing you could do that might be useful for you is to set it to "open at login"
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts suggestion did not work. I think I will probably end up getting one of the commercial app launchers such as Alfred.
  6. macrumors G3

Apr 6, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I would use Quicksilver. It's far more extensible and open source. And it's one of the o. g. application launchers that inspired features in just about every other application launcher out now.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2005
    If you set up a function key as a shortcut, try pressing it with 'fn' pressed as well. That should work.

If that works, you can turn off the requirement to press 'fn' somewhere on the Keyboard preferences (I don't have a portable Mac to hand so can't check it) but it means you'll have to press 'fn' every time you want to change the brightness, volume, etc.