setting up a home network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Jun 17, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi,

I have a lot of free time this summer and am curious about setting up a network. Our family has three Macs, and two PCs.

So, in my room I have a PC which is connected to the incoming DSL modem/wireless router. I also have an eMac in my room which connects via Airport to the Internet. Then on the other side of the house my sister has an iBook, my mom has a Cube, and my dad has a Dell laptop, which all connect wirelessy to the router.

On the Macs, is there a way to pick a computer, like say the Cube, and tell it to store the home directories, such that on any other computer at the Mac OS X log in screen you could log in to your home directory. IE, if my home directory is stored on the Cube, I could with my password log into it from my sister's iBook or my eMac? Is this Netboot? How fast is it?

Thanks!

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

You could always share your files by enabling personal file sharing in the Sharing sytem preference pane.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I don't think it would work unless you were running an Apple server.

4. cjc343 macrumors 6502

The easiest way to implement that would be Open Directory, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to to use on a non-server version of MacOS (I've never tried).

1. Read about it a bit. A good starting place is Apple's Open Directory info page. After that, I'd head to Google. Try to find a way to run it on a standard version of OS X. If you can't, it's always possible to buy MacOS X Server and install it on a computer.

2. I have never run or used Open Directory, and I only know anything about it from having to attempt to let Macs print to printers shared on an Active Directory without storing passwords in plain-text.

3. Don't even bother researching Active Directory.