setting up a network- simple question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celebrian23, Mar 27, 2006.

1. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

In late may/early June my mom is going to buy a wireless router and all that jazz. Can I directly connect an ethernet wire between the computer and the router and access the internet that way? (the desktop, a pc, doesn't have a wi-fi card and I think the expense of buying one isn't worth it since it will be right next to the router anyways)

2. theheyes macrumors regular

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The router has to have extra ethernet ports on it (other than the uplink port where you plug your internet connection into it) for you to plug the computer into. Make sure it does before you order it, most do, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Stick with a known brand like Linksys, d-Link or Netgear. If you want to go all out you can get an aiport extreme base station or an airport express.

5. celebrian23 thread starter macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Thanks guys! I'm probably going to get a d-link. I know a lot of people with them, and they seem to be what would fit my needs. Thanks a bunch. :p

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

No matter which one you buy imediately do a firmware update on the router. Every router I ever used had problems with maintainin a connection until a firware update is installed. Now whenever anyone I know calls about problems with there wireless I check their settings and have them update their firmware. Then all of their woes disappear.