Setting up a network --- What do I need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Axeon, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Axeon macrumors member

I don't know much about wireless networking, but I'd like to set one up between 3 different computers.

The main computer needs to be next a TV, because I use cable, so here is what I know so far:

#1 - Server: Desktop PC (living room near TV). Connected via ethernet cable from cable modem. Also has a non-wireless router hooked into it in case I need to add on additional desktop computers or older laptops that are not wireless-capable.

Now this is where I'm confused. We have two laptops that are wireless capable. One is a Powerbook, the other is a HP-something-or-other. One laptop will be downstairs near the desktop, while the other laptop is upstairs. What do I need to get wireless setup so that both of these laptops will be able to access the internet?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

replace your current router w/ a wireless router. many models (like the linksys wrt54g, to which i've wirelessly connected both mac and pc laptops) have a built-in hub, too.

note that if you buy a wireless card or receiver for your tower, you can move it away from the cable box.

3. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

DO NOT REPALCE YOUR CURRENT ROUTETR

It is NOT required. All a Wireless Router is, is a Wired Router, with a Wireless Access Point built in. You can buy Wireless Access Points seperatly. They just plug in via Ethernet, and you cofigure with your browser (You are using Firefox right? You don't need to, beut seriously, get Firefox!)

http://www.linksys.com has some good ones. Take a look through their site, they are the best.

4. Axeon thread starter macrumors member

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

that should work fine for your needs. It's essentially the same thing as an airport extreme base station, for less money. But you'll probably have more luck setting it up from your PC's than you will from the Powerbook (unless Linksys is providing better Mac support these days). Otherwise, you should have no problems using it.

One thing to consider is putting a wireless card in your server as well, and then it wouldn't have to live next to the television (unless you want that, then it's really a waste).

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, good to know. perhaps i'll get this linksys one myself.

hold on, that access point is $70 at pcconnection, while the WRT54G i linked to above is also $70. hmmmmmm.........

i stand by my original assertion. buy the wireless router. it's the same cost, plus you'll have the original router as either a backup or you can sell it.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

configuration is via browser. i've configured several linksys routers from both macs and pcs and haven't had problems in either case. of course, it's more pleasant in safari than IE :)