setting up a password on my router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by t1rider321, May 8, 2006.

1. t1rider321 macrumors regular

i have a netgear router and id like to make it password protected to connect to it, how do i go about doign this i have a netgear wireless router and i know how to get in teh settings but where do i go from there?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, it may depends on WHICH router you have, but it should be under something similar to "security".

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Or, something similar to "Read the Manual Please"

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

typing in http://192.168.1.1 to your browser window will likely be the first step. If that doesn't work, then see above advice and consult manual.

5. t1rider321 thread starter macrumors regular

the router is over a year old i dont have any of the paper work, i have suspition that a neibor is running off my internt now

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, turning on the admin password won't stop that.. but tunring on MAC registration will. However, you should always have an admin password. Anyhow, look on the Netgear website.. they have most of their manuals on there.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Get the router's IP address by looking in the TCP/IP configuration panel for your wireless interface in System Prefs>>Network. Then open up a browser and type

http://<router ip address

It's normally either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the Netgear model. You'll be prompted for a username and password. If you've never changed the admin password, it should be username = admin and password = password.

On the left hand side of the screen, there is a Wireless Setup option.

In there, you can turn off the SSID broadcast (recommended) and lock down which wireless computers are allowed to attach to your router.

Under Wireless settings, you have the option of setting up either WEP or WPA encryption, which are both supported on the Mac, but only change this if you can also connect the Mac to the router with a cable in case something goes wrong. The "Passphrase" on the Netgear is the same as the "Password" your Airport configuration on the Mac will ask for.

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030