Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
hey all,

ok so i bought a wieless router and i'm trying to install the cd rom on my macbook but it says i don't have the right applicationto run it, the cd rom has blank grey windows inside of it that don't work. when i look at my airport status it says i have full connection strength but i can't get a web page to load. any ideas? thanks

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Try reading the manual and going to the IP address/Web address the router's built-in web-page-like control panel. From there you should be able to edit your Router's internet settings so you can properly connect to the internet.

Also it would help if you can tell us the make and model of the router. :)

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
are they pc only install files?? if so you have to find some intel mac drivers for it. And also are you sure you are on your own network can you access your own stuff?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
breakfastcrew said:
are they pc only install files?? if so you have to find some intel mac drivers for it. And also are you sure you are on your own network can you access your own stuff?
Well usually routers do not require any drivers or CDs, as long as you can connect to it wirelessly or by an ethernet cable you should be able to set it up using the router's built in web page.

You will have to go to a page like http://www.netgearrouter.net or http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 - one of these or a similar address will connect to your router and bring up the Router Setup page. Once there you can setup your router to work with your internet connection.

Be sure to check your manual as it is different for each router. Again if you can post the model or make of the router, or maybe even just the brand someone here may be able to help you more. :) But, no software is required for a router, it should just work.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
breakfastcrew said:
so not true i never got my belkin router to work without the drivers.

I would challenge this statement.

Most routers come with BOTH a web based interface and a custom (usually Windows only) configuration application.

You don't need drivers to use a router, its accessed through a network interface using standard network protocols.

Like Lime said to the OP, check the manual (recommended) or just post the make model of your router and I am sure someone else can walk you through it.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
The following routers work effortlessly on Macs:

- Motorola WR850G

- Any Linksys router

- Any Netgear router

I have tested and used all 3. Personal recommendation is the Motorola. You don't NEED to install anything, regardless of what it tells you. Just plug your cable modem/DSL modem into the router, and then plug your computer into the router, or if you're wireless as the OP is, your AirPort card should have no problem picking up the signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.