Setting up a server.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jasonbot, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I have various Old PC's lying around and was wondering if I could set up a server with one. Basically a self sufficent server for hosting games and files.

Is there any other advantage of a home server that I have not considered?

Whats the easiest way to go around setting it up?

Can I make it headless and control it via another computer?

I waould also like to make it easily accessible from both mac and PC alike. I DO NOT want it to be the primary source of internet connection either, just a standalone server.

I hope this PC based question doesnt piss you off, I know I can go ask on a window sforum but Those guys in their high pants and thick glasses scare me.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Will you being using Windows 2003? Or will it be a Linux server?
    Will you actually have enough files to need to spend the extra $ to power one?
    Will it actually be fast/powerful enough to run a server for games, and is your internet connection bandwidth large enough to allow external people to connect to it to use it?

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Install Linux on it and we'll forgive you. It'll make a better and more secure NFS server anyway.

Googling "set up linux file server" will return a wealth of information on how to do it.

Since you'll be operating it headless, you can either not bother installing the xserver software and access a command line shell via ssh, or you can set up vncserver to allow a vnc client to access the desktop.

4. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I heard Ubuntu Server is good but Iam stuck with the guides, cant find one thats clear.

Good luck let me know how it goes.

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well I might get an old P4 or a P3 So the specs aren't thaat great :( Linux is a good Idea Though.
    I like the Idea of Ubuntu, I've got some CD's...Just dunno how to config for a server version.
    I dunno about the cost of powering it vs. the need? I think it could be good for backup.
    The games will be on a LAN and AFAIK running a game serevr on a LAN doesn't require much graphics right?
    Finally: Please explain about my headless options, I'm not competent with UNIX so any GUI type solution will work for me.

//Is there any other advantage of the server?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You mean other than file storage, web server, email server, backup server, proxy, firewall...the list goes on...

7. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow. I would actually like to just use it internally, on the network. So th eonline stuff won't help. Whats the quickst way to backup onto server via OS X, timemachine excluded.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

rsync

or this GUI (there are others)
    http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/

9. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Ok I now kno wwhat I want in my server...

Linux or Windows based server

Must be able to host games on a network, preferably under Linux
    Must be able to share a printer with Mac's and PC's
    Must be able to provide viable backup facilities.
    And most definitely...MUST BE HEADLESS

10. Queso macrumors G4

Go with Linux, either a Fedora Core or Ubuntu build. They're the easiest ones to set up if you don't know Linux already. Or you could even give Solaris 10 a try :)

11. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

as above, fedora or simular...

for a headless setup, check out FreeNX (nomachine)... google it. it's like VNC. Or you could just use VNC!

samba for file, cupsd for print, it will do everything you want out of the box.

SuSe may be better for you if your new to linux

12. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

FreeNX looks scary, firstly there's so many download options and I'm just completely lost and unsure where to start.