Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Hello. I have an old PC that I would like to connect an external HD to and have it accessible by my Mac when I am on the road. Is this possible, and if so, what is the easiest way to do it? All I want is access to the files on the HD, not to actually use the PC remotely.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Not a really hard thing to do IF all you want to do is get files. Consider turning the PC into an FTP server. There are several software options out there. Also, some routers allow for access via the Internet and you can create a "share" on your PC with your router. As always consider what needs to be done for computer security.

Last - there are many types of set ups that are akin to being NAS. Many have the option to allow for remote access to the drives (shares etc.). That would be another option worth investigating.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
All I want to do is save and retrieve files from it via my phone or computer. I do have an Airport Extreme, if that will help. IE, remotely save/retrieve photos, music, and the likes.

Which method would you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.