setting up a webserver. help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by einsteinium, Oct 28, 2003.

1. einsteinium macrumors member

I am trying to set up a webserver on my Mac. I have installed Panther. My ISP blocks port 80, so I have to set it up on something else, 81, or 427 or whatever. My problem is that the port fowarding on my router doesn't appear to be sending the traffic to my mac. I know it is set up to properly to foward those ports to my mac. I am using a Netgear MR314 wireless router and my internet connection is through my airport express card.

If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated...

2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

What port did you set apache to listen on?

Also, when people want to visit your site, they'll have to type:

http://www.yourdomain.com:81

or whatever port you choose.

-jeff

3. einsteinium thread starter macrumors member

I have apache set up to listen on port 81. I can access my site by: http://localhost:81, however I can't access it from anywhere outside my router.

4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The other thing is that you either need your ISP to supply you a static IP address, or to use a dynamic DNS service to cope with the dynamic IP address used by most, if not all, cable and DSL providers. Unless you've already thought of that, in which case this post looks less than helpful. :confused:

5. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Then yep, sounds like a router problem.

I have a linksys G router at home, and it forwards a whole slew of ports
    to my Red Hat server. It has never had a hiccup.

To get it straight, you have your router forwarding any requests for
    port 81 to the ip of your mac?

You may want to download Ethereal and check network traffic when
    your site is requested.

-jeff

6. panphage macrumors 6502

Have you actually tried it from a computer that sits outside the router? If you're just trying to hit your static IP or domain name (you DO have nameservers pointing at your static ip, don't you?) from behind the router you'll be out of luck. Most routers don't have a loopback that allows you to see the public router ip from behind the router.

If you give us the domain or IP we can try it.

If you know that's not it...I'd go with either a routing or a DNS problem. Either your router isn't set up properly for the forwarding or the nameservers aren't pointing at your IP. Let's gather some information. Is your public IP static or dynamic? Are you absolutely sure you have port 81 forwarded to your machines LAN IP address from the router? Does your ISP maybe block the obvious port 81?