Setting up a Wireless iMac/PC/PC/Cable Network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Catt, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Catt macrumors member

May 21, 2003
    London, UK

I have a question about setting up a wireless network, principally to share a Cable broadband connection.

In my house there is my Mum's iMac, my Laptop and there is soon to be my Dad's new laptop. Basically we all want to have access to the internet through the Broadband connection, and maybe file sharing but that's not essential.

We could either have a wired network or a wireless one, and given that both the PC Laptops are upstairs most of the time (but occasionally move about the house) a wireless one would be more flexible, and there wouldn't be any wires trailing perilously over the stairs! :)

NONE of the devices are currently wirelessly enabled :(

So how would I go about setting up the network?

My Laptop (a Toshiba 5200-902) has aerials built into the lid so I just need to fit a wireless mini PCI LAN card, and the new laptop can just be fitted with a PC-Card (we don't have enougth money to buy a centrino and an iBook isn't an option).

As the iMac already has direct access to the cable modem (which is installed next to the iMac) is it necessary for it to be wireless enabled? Can it connect by wire to a Wireless Router and then through that directly to the cable modem; whilst the two Latops connect wirelessly to the router and then to the cable modem? And will there be any compatibility issues between the iMac and the two laptops? And also is this possible to do in such a way as to allow all three devices to access the internet at the same time? (although this will slow done the connection)

I was thinking of this router:

or the Airtunes router, which is more expensive :-(

Basically i need some advice as to whether this is feasbile at a relatively low cost? and if anyone could suggest any alternatives that would be grately appreciated. Thanks :D
  2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Its very easy to do. Basically, just get a base station (the linksys one you had is perfect), and then install the 2 wireless cards into the laptops. The base station has 4 ports for local computers, plug your iMac into #1. Once you config everything, everyone can access the net at the same time.

And, don't worry about the connection speed. You only use bandwidth when loading pages. About 99% of the time, you will be getting full speed. Even if everyone is online at the same time, you won't notice more than 2% difference.

PS: Make sure all your cards are 802.11g. It is much faster than 802.11b, and basically the same price.