Setting up a wireless network.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Mar 14, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Okay, I have an old PC running Windows 2000 and an eMac running Mac OS X.

I want to set up a wireless network between them so I can share a printer and an internet connection.

What do you reccomend I do and which hardware should I purchase?

The airport seems a bit pricey...if I can get away with someone else that'd be great. But, will the airport card I get for my mac be compatible with a wireless router?

2. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

802.11b/g are standards, therefore any router you pick up that supports the standards should be OK.

Are you eligible for student pricing on AirPort equipment? If so, you may want to take a second look. AirPort is pricey, but very high-quality.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wow...$90 for the airport card and $180 for the base station...I didn't think it was THAT expensive...

4. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Would it be possible for me to buy a wireless router and hook the Mac directly to it and then have only the PC be wireless? If I can avoid $90 for the wireless card in the Mac that'd be great too.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Do you need to go wireless? It doesn't seem like either of your computers will be moving around with you alot. A wired connection would be more reliable and faster. I would suggest getting a $40 ethernet hub from Office Depot and printer sharing from one computer to the other. It's the setup my roommate and I use, works great.

stoid

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

If you go with the wired solution, I'd get a switch, not a hub. You'll notice great performance increases between the two systems over a hub.

If you are planning on sharing a broadband connection, get a router with a built-in switch, and you can add broadband later. These devices can be had for $50 - 60 USD, such as the Linksys WRT54G.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you're in the US, check out the latest CompUSA ad. They are selling the Netgear 814 wireless router (802.11b) for $10 after rebate. The catch is that you have to purchase a bundled Netgear wireless card, which is going for $20 after rebates.

So, after you're done with everything, you've spent $30 and have an 802.11b network. The eMac can plug in via ethernet (and so can the PC as well). Heck, you could even e-bay the wireless card and plug both computers in. Disable the wireless for more security.

At least, take a look at the CompUSA ad.

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I could go the wired route, but the computers are on two totally opposite sides of my house and running a cord through the attic is going to be one helluva hassle.

And no CompUSA ad this weekend.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I went back and checked the ad. It was a typo. It's actually $40, not $30. The router is $10 and you can choose between PC Card adapter or USB adapter. Both are $30 each.

Check the CompUSA website.