Setting up ad hoc network for wireless printing

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by jeffreyzwerner, Aug 18, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello. I am attempting to create an ad hoc network for the purpose of wireless printing, but I am clueless how to do so, or if it is even a possibility. I am a student and I do not want to connect my printer to the school's wireless network, nor do I want to connect via the USB interface. These are the peripherals:

Macbook Pro 13", 10.6.4
    Brother HL 2170w

Can anyone explain to me how I might go about setting up a network on my Macbook Pro that my printer would be able to connect with? Thanks for any help

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Click the Airport icon in the menu at the top. Then select Create Network. Give it a generic name, the security is weak but a good idea to keep out the occasional user. So click the Require Password box and give it a password. When done click OK. Now you just have to tell the printer to join it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

does my new ad hoc network support SecureEasySetup, Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or AOSS? If so, I can connect the printer to this network using he one-push method.

If not, does anyone know of a different way to connect my model printer to the ad hoc network without the use of a temporary cable?