Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffreyzwerner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Hello. I am attempting to create an ad hoc network for the purpose of wireless printing, but I am clueless how to do so, or if it is even a possibility. I am a student and I do not want to connect my printer to the school's wireless network, nor do I want to connect via the USB interface. These are the peripherals:

Macbook Pro 13", 10.6.4
Brother HL 2170w

Can anyone explain to me how I might go about setting up a network on my Macbook Pro that my printer would be able to connect with? Thanks for any help

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Click the Airport icon in the menu at the top. Then select Create Network. Give it a generic name, the security is weak but a good idea to keep out the occasional user. So click the Require Password box and give it a password. When done click OK. Now you just have to tell the printer to join it.

jeffreyzwerner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
does my new ad hoc network support SecureEasySetup, Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or AOSS? If so, I can connect the printer to this network using he one-push method.

If not, does anyone know of a different way to connect my model printer to the ad hoc network without the use of a temporary cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.