Setting Up Airport Extreme/Netgear Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by believo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I'm trying to set my eMac w/ Airport Extreme card to have internet access. I have a Netgear wireless router in one room and the eMac in the other. I installed the Airport Extreme card.. what's next?

thanks.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well if the card is set up and you have it on then the card should pick up the router signal. Make sure the router is turned on and if you have a password for your network have it ready.

Are you seeing the signal strength on your menubar?

Bless

3. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

no theres an icon in the menu bar and when I click on it.. it has a drop down menu option for open internet connect and the rest of the options are greyed out (unselectable). I can open that and it ask for VPN configuration w/ address, userename and password. Don't really know where to go from here.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What are you connecting through now or are you on another computer? Open up internet connect and check to see if that card is showing up.

Internal modem
    Airport
    VPN

should be up there..when you open up internet connect.

Bless

5. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

I'm connecting through my other computer (G5 PowerMac). When I open up internet conncect on the emac it ask me for an address, username and password.

6. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

VPN is the only thing that is showin up under system preferences/network.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like you didn't install the software that came with the card.

All you need to do is install the AirPort software and choose AirPort in the AppleTalk control panel to start using the network.

If you also use the AirPort for Internet access via the modem or Ethernet port, open the TCP/IP control panel. Set the “Connect via” to AirPort and “Configure” to DHCP Server. This tells the AirPort to automatically generate an IP address for your Mac when it connects to the Internet.

Bless

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Does Airport show up in Apple > About This Mac > More Info > Network > Airport Card ? If not, double-check your extreme card installation. I've not used an an Extreme card, but i did find with putting the original Airport card into an old iMac that you really had to push it in quite hard to get it mounted properly.

9. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

The Airport card doesn't show up. I double checked to make sure it was correctly installed and it's pushed in as far as it goes. The cable is connected. I still only get the internet connect option in the menu bar.

10. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

If the card doesn't show up in System Profiler i'd say either the card is faulty or it's not installed properly. Maybe try pulling it out and putting it back in again - the original ones had to go in until they made a definite "click", which took a suprising amount of force.

11. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

ok disconnected and re installed a third time and it finally worked.. i feel dumb.. thanks everyone.