Setting up an airport base station.....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mattpol, Jun 22, 2002.

1. mattpol macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2002
    New York, NY
    I have a new TiBook, and I just ordered an Airport Base Station.

How hard is it to set up, and what is the proccess like?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    It's very easy. Once you get the base station, plug everything in and then use the "AirPort Setup Assistant" from OS X (utilities folder) to make all the settings. Make sure you have all the info you need before you start, so that it goes smoothly. Check the manual that comes with the base to see what you will need.
  3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    it gets trickier once you have more than 2 computers.

i am still trying to configure my network.

my problem is, i do not even know where to start (to troubleshoot)

maybe some of you guys could help.

i get 2 fixed ip address'. i have one dual ethernet airport base station. my ibook is connected wirelessly. it uses 1 fixed ip address.

the cable modem is connected to a switch. the pc is connected to the switch. the pc uses the other fixed ip address.

well so far so good. now i bought a new g4. i do not care to "lease or buy" another ip address from my isp.

so, logically, i want to try ipsharing.

the airport base station ethernet cable is also connected to the switch. the cable is connected to the "wan connection" of the airport base station.

and my problem is this, i want to plug the g4 to the second ethernet connection (that would be the lan connection)

but i cannot configure the airport base station (airport admin utility). i get an error message: "an error occured while reading the configuration."

has anyone got any ideas? i just want to share my ipaddress. maybe there is a better setup.

any help would be appreciated.
  4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Red Apple

The same thing happened to me after I had to do a clean install of 10.2. I can no longer go to the AAU to change the configuration. I have been too lazy to do a cmoplete wipe-out and reconfiguring of the Base Station - so if anyone could answer with an easy solution - that would be "SUPER".

Sorry to hijack the thread, in regards to mattpol's question - it's comparably easy to registering a brand new computer. You just answer questions, and 10 minutes later you can sit on the john with your (T)iBook and surf the net.
  5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    i was able to configure my airport base station now. how?

i had been trying to configure the airport base station with the ibook (and i could not configure the base station).

i plugged in the g4 (i connected an ethernet cable to the lan port) and did a hard reset. then i started the airport admin utility and it worked.

i was able to configure the base station (but i still have problems)

according to the article "designing airport networks 2" from apple, i quote: "if your isp asks you for the mac address of your base station, use the address of the ethernet wan port, printed on the label on the bottom of the base station."

now an ethernet cable is connected from the wan port to the cable modem. a switch is connected to the lan port.

my question is, do i need to inform my isp to change the mac address?

any ideas?